lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
F239141
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Weak Start

My starter is weak, when you push the pedal down, it will make a "whirly" noise, and maybe a squeak, and eventually turn over.

Battery is new with 12.x volts
Belts are new
all cables are tight/clean

Is it worth pulling out and cleaning and replacing the brushes or better off with a new starter/generator?

Or are I going in the total wrong direction?

Thanks
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Weak Start

Not sure what 12x means but, a 12 volt fully charged battery is 12.78, what size battery did you buy?, did you charge the "new" battery or just buy it and put it in the cart?, a new battery is only 70% fully charged when you get it off the shelf. you say you cleaned all the cable connections? that would mean that you removed the battery cables and wire wheeled every thing clean, the ground cable should be cleaned to bear metal then bolted to the frame, and a ground from the engine to the frame and to the battery. put your DMM meter on the battery POS + and NEG - and crank the motor and see what the volts drop to,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Probably loose or worn belt. The whir and squeak are it slipping. Lift the seat, put it in neutral, put it in maintenance mode and hit the gas. Now watch the pulley and belt. Should be obvious.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
F239141
Getting Wild

Club Car

12.x is between 12.6 - 12.9 depending on the day I have checked it, its a 900CCA.

I haven't taken a wire wheel to them but have all been cleaned with a brass brush.

belts are brand new, the starter will spin a 1/4 turn then it just sit there.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Most say to tighten the S/G belt as tight as you can... I disagree, because I've experienced it first hand!
I tightened mine with a pry bar so it wouldn't slip, and sure enough... the S/G would stop at the compression stroke just as yours is!
I loosened the belt just enough so it wouldn't slip, and it turns over perfectly now!

Just a suggestion!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

The starter/generator has inspection ports to inspect the brushes. Pop them off and look at them. You should be able to see the brush with a brass clip on top of them. If you can only see the clips and no brush, try changing the brushes. Easy fix.

Also check what the others are saying about the belt tension. I personally have had better luck getting them tight or else they slip. I have several customer come in saying there cart will not start, they just here a spinning noise. It's always the starter belt slipping on the starter. Give it a good tightening and it goods to go.

But visually check the brushes. Hopefully its something simple and you don't have to shell out for a new starter!
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
F239141
Getting Wild

Club Car

ok cool, I will have to look at it this weekend!!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
Capt.Jack
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Make sure you have good voltage at the Starter/gen if so, most likely the starter/gen is worn out and needs replacement. I Run into this issue regularly with my fleet of club cars.
Capt.Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
CCinGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiescd View Post
The starter/generator has inspection ports to inspect the brushes. Pop them off and look at them. You should be able to see the brush with a brass clip on top of them. If you can only see the clips and no brush, try changing the brushes. Easy fix.

Also check what the others are saying about the belt tension. I personally have had better luck getting them tight or else they slip. I have several customer come in saying there cart will not start, they just here a spinning noise. It's always the starter belt slipping on the starter. Give it a good tightening and it goods to go.

But visually check the brushes. Hopefully its something simple and you don't have to shell out for a new starter!
Hi Robbie... Where are the inspection ports? I looked through the service annual and it didn't mention them. Sounds like a fairly easy removable cover......just don't want to screw something up. THX!!!
CCinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #10
robbiescd
Getting Wild
Club Car

Remove the rear access panel on your cart. There should be 4 rubber covers on the left side of the starter (if looking toward front from rear). Just pop them off and you'll be able to see the brushes and the keepers.
robbiescd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car