lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
bborad
Not Yet Wild

Default Melex 212 electrical problem

I have a Melex 212 which I bought from the local little league team as a donation. The car ran, but had front end problems due to a crash. In fixing the front end, the repair shop broke the pinion gear in the rear end. To make a long story short, I replaced the rear end with a club car rear end and wired the motor as a series motor with the original melex electrical system. Everything worked find. But it has now stopped working. I can find no lose wires, the batteries are charged and nothing seems burned. I have downloaded wiring diagrams for a melex/ezgo resistence cart and everything looks to be ok. I do not know how to test the various components. It acts like there is a fuse that burned, but I cannot find one. Any suggestions?
bborad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2008, 11:01 PM   #2
bborad
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Melex 212 electrical problem

Turns out it was a solenoid. Fixed it and now it runs great.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sorry we didn't see this soon enough to be of help but, glad to see you fixed it on your own. I have noticed the ezgo and CC mounts are the same width..how easy was the instalation?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
bborad
Not Yet Wild

Other than a few cuts from the screws it was easy.
The only problem I have now is that the resistor coils seem to be getting very hot. Is it possible that the new motor is pulling more current than the original melex motor and I am therefore exceeding the design specs of the resistor coils? How do I check?
B
Old 04-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
joe jones
Not Yet Wild

i have a melex it's had knew batteries put on it's been running good some times after ridding about 100yds when peddle is mashed it won't move but you can hear a click sounds like low batteries but there charged after about 5min or so it runs good then i smelt some thing odd i raized the seat and the copper looking coil on the bottom was red hot dose any one know what causes this
joe jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
bborad
Not Yet Wild

The coil is a resistance coil which controls the amount of electricity that goes to the motor. At low speeds the coil gets very hot because most of the electriciy is going through the coil. The same set up is used in the older exgo carts.
There are many electrical disgrams on the web that explain this in the melix and the exgo carts. As far as the clicking goes it probably is because your batteries are low and it is the solinoid is not getting enough power from the batteries. Charging of the batteries to full charge probably takes overnight. Get a hydrometer from a auto parts store and chech the batteries to see if they are actually fully charged. My ezgo card takes at least 6 hours to fully charge and it is wired just like the melix. you might also have your charger checked at a golf card store to see if it is actually working.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex