lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Roll away braking

The roll away braking works on my regen 2 without the 2 nd solenoid if I hook up the speed sensor. Only problem is the pedal up braking is very strong with the solenoid out of the system. My thoughts is the bandit upgrade would do away with the pedal up braking, which I think is the regen part of the motor braking.
I think I may not be able to explain what I'm trying to say.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I understand what you saying, I think the part you are missing is that the bandit does not do away with Regen brake.

What it does is the same same thing that any motor with a speed magnet would do, it tells the controller it is going half as fast as it really is, so the controller does not use as much field current to slow down the motor.

I just looked at the specs on the Regen2 and it looks like it only applies the motor braking until the speed is below 9mph (it then coasts freely), which would really be 18mph with a speed magnet. You may get away with it if you never let the foot of the accelerator unless you are going less than 18mph.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think I DO know what you are saying - because its what I thought I would like also. The issue you are asking about is likely the difference between the Regen 2 sensor and the IQ speed sensor/magnet. They are NOT the same, so other than asking Plum Quick directly - I'm not sure who has tried it on Regen 2 and knows the answer.

Sergio's idea is intriguing, though. On Regen 1 (and 2 I believe) we can simply unplug the sensor to go "faster" - but by adding a relay to the sensor which only works with the switch off, we can re-engage speed sensing and all forms of braking at will. Interesting....

Oops - Sergio replied while I was typing.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #14
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Sergio - how does the hill/roll-away braking work on Regen setups? That feature is what I use on a very steep downhill thru a very narrow gate- but "normal" Regen deceleration is less important to me.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Regen Braking works similar on all models:
Main Solenoid has to be engaged.
Controller applies Field current.
Motor Armature is allowed to be turned by the cart wheels.
Controller manipulates the half-bridge armature driver to allow current to flow back into the battery (FETs are by-directional when conducting).
The newer Excel controllers are a lot more sophisticated in this department and can use the Regen Brake to almost 0mph.

When the main solenoid is not engaged, the process is similar but the Armature needs to be "plugged" so the current generated is dissipated as heat.

The old style Regen controllers had an external resistor (the 2nd solenoid), the newer controllers dissipate the heat internally.

The newer controllers will keep the main solenoid engaged (even with your foot off the pedal) until a few seconds after the controller senses no more movement from the speed sensor.

I think the old style Regen 1 & 2 used the DB braking a lot more as they did not have such fine control of the motor driver.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks - makes sense. Not sure If I will disengage the Regen feature via relay (or even a simple switch) but its a cool idea. OK - sorry for hijacking mrgolf!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:24 PM   #17
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

No problem.
So if I understand, with the magnet, or PQ motor the regen will not kick in as long as I'm under 18 mph or so. Anything above that when the pedal is all the way up the regen will kick in. As long as I'm not going over the set speed the regen will not work.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #18
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I read it wrong, here is the actual paragraph for the old Regen 2:
Quote:
Pedal Up Motor Braking: When vehicle speed is above 12 mph, releasing the accelerator pedal will activate motor braking, which slows the vehicle to approximately 9 mph. Once vehicle speed slows to below approximately 9 mph with the accelerator pedal still released, motor braking will be deactivated and the vehicle will coast freely.
So unless You were going faster than 24mph (assuming speed magnet/Bandit motor installed), Regen should not engage.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:29 PM   #19
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I think that is what I was wanting to learn. I have to put batteries in the 99 cart I have, so I'm going to do the bandit upgrade while I'm at it. Then I'll be able to restore the roll away braking. some of the parking at the courses I play at the greens and tees are on hills. I'd hate to be over a putt for all the marbles and have my cart take off toward the lake.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #20
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I just shipped the motor off to PQ. They told me they did not do anything with the magnet on the regen 2 motor. As far as they know they don't make a high speed magnet for this motor.

I will run the cart without regen I guess, no roll away brake.

I was wondering if I could find a round magnet at a hobby store or hardware store, are they single pole and can they be cut or filed to fit if so.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car