lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
thesuthern1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Question G2 Not running well

I have an 88 G2 that just won't run right. It's as if it won't "open up" all the way, it also backfires. Sometimes it will open up until I let off then it bogs and spits and sputters when I accelerate again. Even when it opens up it doesn't feel like it has the power it had previously.
I'm not a great mechanic but I've been trying. I've done the following.
Drained gas tank.
Removed in tank fuel filter and added inline filter.
Replaced fuel lines.
New spark plug(NGK per manual specs).
New carb.
Bypassed the governor.
Cleaned air filter and checked the filter housing for cracks.

I took it to my local golf cart repair shop and they said "the governor is bad and the labor would be too expensive to replace". They also said bypassing the governor would cause it to not run right. I suspect they didn't really check it out as they didn't charge me anything.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally baffled.
thesuthern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Not running well

Check the air box if it's not sealed correctly it won't run right I had one that was a little warped looked like lid was on correctly but it wasn't
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Also once I did get the lid on correctly with a little persuasion I used a good zip tie to hold it down the rubber straps wouldn't hold it
Old 02-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The G2 has a rev limiter...

That may be coming into play.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
thesuthern1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the replies. Spicy, when I got the cart in 09, I replaced the filter box because it was cracked. With that problem, I could choke it and it would run. This time, choke position doesn't matter. I'll double check the box and lid though, just to make sure. Dave, is the rev limiter in addition to the governor or different name for same part? I've already bypassed the governor.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

rev limiter is different than governor when it his the rev limiter it actually cuts out the motor here is a decent video that shows what happens when it hits the rev limiter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hFuqJDaTrI
Old 02-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Heres the difference: the rev-limiter does just that, limits the maximum rpm, by killing the ignition spark, the engine can reach under any conditions (Any conditions, even with no drive belt in place), its location is inside the ignitor (electronic box that controls the ignition system). The governors only function is to control road (wheel) speed by reducing the throttle position to control speed when the cart nears the speed thegovernor is set to, it does not care at all how high the engine revs unless the road (wheel) speed is near or above the preset governor speed (as you know, governor located in the transmission).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:41 PM   #8
thesuthern1
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Checked the filter box. Everything's good with it. I put a new one on it when I initially got the cart. In neutral, I can make it hit the rev limiter. It will sometimes open up in neutral and run as long as the throttle is down but when you let off then throttle again, it may or may not run right. When trying to drive, it just bogs down and I have to play with the throttle constantly just to creep around. Could the clutch be part of the problem?
Old 02-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Try this in neutral
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksLJlvY6KA
That is my G9, while it has no governor or limiter, the limiter would only kick in at top rpm it may have hit there. Governor on trans will pull throttle back when the trans gears reach a set speed.

In neutral nothing should affect the motor from the cvt or trans, it will do what mine did there in the first video. The first time I eased on the gas, after that I floored it. That cart on 22s would do 31gps on a paved road and a good long run to get there lol. With a limiter it might do 27 because I know a G9 with the governor all the way up did 27. Speeds will be less with smaller tires.

Note if the governor on the trans still functions, it will still limit speed of the axle gears and they turn with the secondary clutch even in neutral (if a belt is on it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y55ouqdV5Rs
This is my stock engine G9 (on 22s just like the other cart) trying to race a cart we just put a clone engine in, got up to maybe 25mph there and let off. He hit the gas before I could get the camera to start recording. I think he was afraid I'd win, which is a joke the clone 420 has way more power as you can see and it was not even jetted right yet. That cart would do 31gps on dirt road while stock mine only did 28 on dirt (31 on pavement) and took at least twice the distance to get up to that speed.

No power you need to figure out if its cvt or engine, so in neutral it should rev ok. If not it may be the engine. Any leak in the air intake will do that from the air box to the spacer behind the carb (to the head). Though the cracked spacer tends to mess up idle and low speed operation more, and it can be helped a little if you turn the idle mix way out. The leaky air box will mess it up all the time. I removed the air silencer on mine, its the part of air box that goes over the generator. I had to hog out my main jet to get it to run right.

Dirty main jet will also cause similar problems, you should make sure the carb is completely clean inside and all jets blown out or carb cleaner sprayed through them.

Another possible problem is your ignitor is messed up. They don't go bad often, they tend to get worse in hot weather or after running for a while, then they don't advance the timing correctly. They are expensive. You are best to swap one from another cart and see what happens.

Always try a new plug before you do anything, use a NGK from the newer yami carts bprs2es I think it is.

You can also loosen the bolts on the muffler so it leaks and run it, if the muffler is plugged it will run better, not a common thing on the 4 cycle but people have had it happen.

You can check the valve lash under the top cover. If you do make sure you clean and seal it back on with automotive gasket stuff. If it leaks oil it will fill the fins with dirt and your cart will overheat.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha