lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #11
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Low battery water - exposed plates

New batteries should not consume water at that rate. Your charger is over charging them for some reason.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by klanel View Post
Not there but I'm thinking dash meter shows close to 65v
If you even think that it is putting out 65 volts during the FLOAT mode of charging then you should NOT be using that charger and should be in contact with DPI in order to trouble shoot the issue... As commented your float voltage should be roughly 53 to 54 volts... You either have a defective charger or a defective battery (batteries?) that refuse to accept full charge. That could be causing the charger to never shift into float mode?

What color are the LED on the charger face? You should have one RED for POWER and one GREEN for FLOAT if you are seeing a YELLOW in place of the GREEN you are still in the ABSORPTION stage. This could indicate a defective battery.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:46 AM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The charger is DPI 17a/48v
I checked the switches and as default were already mode 2, will recheck.

The most time the cart has been used in a single day is probably 30 minutes total. So it stays on the charger most all the time. And every time I go to use it the batteries are boiling even if the amps are 1-3 from the charger. Always smell gases.
This is no different in how my cart is used and we never smell gases in the garage...
Old 06-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #14
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

One other piece of information, from day 1 when I power up the meter on the charger bounces erratically for about 10 sec, drops to zero, charging led comes on and then amps come up and stay smooth. I had posted that info here when I got it but no one seemed to indicate that it was not normal.

Anyway, DPI is sending new board. Said needle bouncing not normal.

Will update after I change. Thanks
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
... from day 1 when I power up the meter on the charger bounces erratically for about 10 sec, drops to zero, charging led comes on and then amps come up and stay smooth. I had posted that info here when I got it but no one seemed to indicate that it was not normal....
Yes I do see where you mentioned that once...

Let us know how the charger behaves with a new circuit board installed...

Just be sure to keep a closer watchful eye on the finished float voltage (53/54 VDC) as previously recommended...
Old 06-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

After 24 hours on the charger,
Battery voltage was at 63.5, charged led green, 3-4 amps. Discounted charger and after 15 min batt voltage at 53.4.
Individual batteries between 9.3 and 9.38.

DPI sending board but also said if incorrectly wired from factory could cause strange symptoms and still work.

Will post when I get new board.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #17
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
After 24 hours on the charger,
Battery voltage was at 63.5, charged led green, 3-4 amps. Discounted charger and after 15 min batt voltage at 53.4.
Individual batteries between 9.3 and 9.38.

DPI sending board but also said if incorrectly wired from factory could cause strange symptoms and still work.

Will post when I get new board.
Let us know the outcome... The key here was/is after some 8 to 16 hours and the charger is still kicking out the voltage and amps that something is amiss and should not be ignored...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car