lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
rp1scooter
Not Yet Wild

Default Odor while charging golf car

My friend has a club car 2008 8v. Recently he had the batteries replaced by a friend who has electrical experience, but not with golf cars. Everything seemed fine. It drove without any problems or loss of power. When he charged the car, however, the car produced a strong chemical smell. Your thoughts?
rp1scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Odor while charging golf car

New batteries' acid is often around 70% of full strength while on the shelf. It's not uncommon for them to gas during the first charges.

Check this out-- http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

With so little information perhaps nothing.... New batteries may indeed out gas and smell like rotten eggs the first couple times they are charged as they are brand new and not well settled into life of use and charge....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
Patela2oh
Gone Wild

Make sure you fill batteries after they are fully charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patela2oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The odor you smell is often described as rotten eggs smell. It really is hydrogen sulfide a by product of heavy charging. Heavy charging is the initial stage of any good charge algorithm. Some of this gas may be released each time you charge, often in small amounts that go undetected. A strong acid smell should be ventilated as the gas is a mild health concern and flammable. Charge in a ventilated area.
Continued excessive gassing may indicate a problem with the batteries or the charge system.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Odor while charging golf car

Also double check the wiring on the batteries per the age and model of the cart in the "stickies' just to be sure a wire is not in the wrong place...I always take a picture with my cell phone before changing batteries just to have a reference point.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
stevEZGO
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just got my cart (2013 TXT refurbished). It has new Trojan batteries. I have a golf cart garage attached to my house that is roughly 8'x12' that I store the cart in. My plan was to keep it in there and charge it overnight.

Well, this morning I noticed a smell in parts of the house (more strongly in the garage where the cart had been charging). I wouldn't classify it as "rotten eggs", but a plastic-y type smell. I honestly thought it was just the newness of the cart.

That being said, I have a feeling it's the batteries creating the smell.

How much ventilation do you really need when charging the batteries? I can't leave my garage door open at night when charging this thing. I guess I may have to result in day-time charging so I can keep the garage open to ventilate.

The last thing I want to do is blow up the house. Are the gasses (assuming that's what it is) harmful?

Thanks,
stevEZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car