lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #21
Helirich
Gone Wild

Default Re: Input on disc brake kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I wonder if an eddy current disk brake system can be designed for the front wheels of golf carts and if so, could it be made compact enough to be compatible with 8" (stock) rims.

Along those same lines, using an electro-mechanical caliper rather than a hydraulic caliper on a conventional disk brake system might have some interesting possibilities.
If I knew what "eddy current" brakes were, I might look in to it. LOL.

When you say "electro-mechanical" , are you referring to electric trailer brakes? I could see some possibilities in that.

1. You could set the braking power on the fronts to just drag anytime the brake pedal is "touched". Then the rears would add to that depending how hard you hit them.

2. You could have the fronts set to come on hard whenever your brake pedal got almost to the floor. (Panic stop)

3. You could have the fronts on a seperate switch on the floor. (Like a dimmer switch.)

4. Or you could have just the standard controller on the dash.

I think the addition of any brakes up front would make a big differnce. (Drums or disc) not sure what would fit in the 8". But most people have up graded the wheels if they modded the speed.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2016, 02:28 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
If I knew what "eddy current" brakes were, I might look in to it. LOL.

When you say "electro-mechanical" , are you referring to electric trailer brakes? I could see some possibilities in that.

1. You could set the braking power on the fronts to just drag anytime the brake pedal is "touched". Then the rears would add to that depending how hard you hit them.

2. You could have the fronts set to come on hard whenever your brake pedal got almost to the floor. (Panic stop)

3. You could have the fronts on a seperate switch on the floor. (Like a dimmer switch.)

4. Or you could have just the standard controller on the dash.

I think the addition of any brakes up front would make a big differnce. (Drums or disc) not sure what would fit in the 8". But most people have up graded the wheels if they modded the speed.
You have most likely seen eddy current motors and brakes, they are used for a lot of things.

The old style electric power meter that hung on the outside of houses, used an eddy current device to measure how many kWh of electricity you used.
Some of the "bullet" trains use eddy current speed brakes.
They are used in some stationary exercise bicycles and medical grade ergometers.

Here's a link that explains them pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddy_current_brake

And a video that demonstrates a home brewed one in operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mopfuVfeIhc

Basically, relative motion between a conductor and a magnet causes drag.

By using an electromagnet, you can control the amount of braking force by adjusting the current flow through the magnet coil.

Another interesting tid-bit I picked up watching the first video I linked to, is that they won't completely stop the eddy current disk from rotating. That fact might make them ideal for front brakes on a cart.

Here is a video showing both the motor and brake properties of a beer can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-peoqu_MRnA

---------------
Yes, by electro-mecahnical I mean something akin to what is used for electric trailer brakes.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 07-23-2016 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #23
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK, so who's going to be the first down-size electro-mechanical drum brakes (trailer brakes). I'd be in the market.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:29 PM   #24
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have Ausco rear mechanical discs and jakes front hydraulic disc. I would not do it again. The fronts stop so much quicker than the rears the front of the cart lifts. Now I am in the process of checking into doing a rear hydraulic disc set up much like fastest1. That should handle it. There is also a company that sells a 4 wheel disc set up for like 800. That would be the way to go if you were just staring out, handled at one shot!
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #25
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnmflr View Post
I have Ausco rear mechanical discs and jakes front hydraulic disc. I would not do it again. The fronts stop so much quicker than the rears the front of the cart lifts. Now I am in the process of checking into doing a rear hydraulic disc set up much like fastest1. That should handle it. There is also a company that sells a 4 wheel disc set up for like 800. That would be the way to go if you were just staring out, handled at one shot!
The front lifts it stops so fast?? Shouldn't that be the rears lift it stops so fast in front.

$800 for the set!!! Wow! That is a lot! I would think the rear Ausco brakes that Scottyb sells would be plenty. The rear drums I have are almost all I need. Almost
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:34 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thank you for posting John

We used to sell the wheel hydraulic disc brake set ... I think it was $880. It was a nice set but our customers had a lot of trouble with the installs and our small profit didn't justify the hours spent in tech support so we were forced to abandon the product. I do have a set on my monster cart - I have replaced the master cylinder in the 4 yrs I had them... but it's worth it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #27
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
You understand that the reason the front lifts is the suspension geometry in the front. It has nothing to do with the front brakes stopping quicker than the rear. Most front suspension will colapse as the weight transfers. On cars, they try to design some "anti-squat" in to reduce it. I suspect the "anti-squat" of the EZGO is not really designed, but by accedent. (Sense it normally doesn't go fast and only has rear brakes)

My question, why don't you like it? I believe the cart does not stop as fast as it would if the front was newtral or went down, but it still must stop a lot faster then no front brakes.

If you really don't like the "lift" you could install a bar similar to "traction bars" on hotrods. I think what's happening is the rotational torque of the brakes is causing axle rap. The traction bar would stop that.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #28
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I do understand the reason the front lifts, and the total amount of lift in the cart doesn't help the situation. If the rear were hydraulic I would not have to push the brake pedal as hard/far down as I do to stop as fast as I want to, hopefully causing less braking force on the front. Also a adjustable prop valve will probably be used. The Ausco rear brake set up was fine by itself but as usual I tend to take things a little farther than the norm. And in turn end up making more work/cost than necessary.
Scotty I remember when you carried them and should have gotten one from ya then!!!!!

Helirich, the 4 link front end I have always wanted would also stop it!
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #29
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
I do understand the reason the front lifts, and the total amount of lift in the cart doesn't help the situation. If the rear were hydraulic I would not have to push the brake pedal as hard/far down as I do to stop as fast as I want to, hopefully causing less braking force on the front. Also a adjustable prop valve will probably be used. The Ausco rear brake set up was fine by itself but as usual I tend to take things a little farther than the norm. And in turn end up making more work/cost than necessary.
Scotty I remember when you carried them and should have gotten one from ya then!!!!!

Helirich, the 4 link front end I have always wanted would also stop it!
You sound like me taking things to far. The linked cart would be cool. But I would have to finish my "other" cart first. (It's linked)

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO