lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Slip Differentials....do they wear out?

I have had my cart that I use exclusively for off road, hunting applications here in S.W. Pennsylvania, where hills are hills and mountains are in fact....mountains. Well....the only other mountains that out-do ours are those in West Virginia. I make this point as I go up some steep stuff. My controller is set for max torque as I'm more concerned with getting there....than getting there fast.

Now, the limited slip doesn't work in reverse. However, I've been having some "issues" lately in forward where one wheel will spin...but the post-traction will not "kick in" like the limited -slip is suppose to do like it did "back in the old days".(At times if I shift my weight to the middle of the seat when the posi-traction doesn't kick in, it will then usually kick in.) I've had the cart for 8 years now and I purchased it built. I can't find my original bill that had the options listed on it....but I believe it was an EZ-GO limited slip. I see from the Al Gore Interwoven net that the limited slip works from two small "washer type" of rings that are pressed into a unit that is then inserted into the drive gears.

So....do those "washer type" rings wear out? I'm thinking if they are made of a material....at some point............

Thoughts?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Dramier
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Slip Differentials....do they wear out?

Almost any limited slip differential unit, regardless of what it's install in, is going to be subject to wear.

Most LSD's feature a clutch pack with friction discs that obviously will wear out. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to periodically rebuild a limited slip EZGO diff, but honestly I've very rarely dealt with them.
Dramier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramier View Post
Almost any limited slip differential unit, regardless of what it's install in, is going to be subject to wear.

Most LSD's feature a clutch pack with friction discs that obviously will wear out. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to periodically rebuild a limited slip EZGO diff, but honestly I've very rarely dealt with them.
You nailed it, its a "clutch type posi". and yes they do wear out. i've seen a few, but not been a problem or anything.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You should also change fluid frequently with limited slip - and use the correct type.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

The fluid part I've had changed. About every two years. I've searched for the replacement "O" disc but haven't found anyone that just sells those, or a kit that would just replace those. It would seem to me that if all I need to replace is the "O" type disc, then I shouldn't have to purchase an entire kit. But it appears I could be wrong on that.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

i dont know of any rebuild kit, had to replace the whole posi carrier. not the whole axle, just the rng gear carrier, it aint cheap tho.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
Dramier
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
The fluid part I've had changed. About every two years. I've searched for the replacement "O" disc but haven't found anyone that just sells those, or a kit that would just replace those. It would seem to me that if all I need to replace is the "O" type disc, then I shouldn't have to purchase an entire kit. But it appears I could be wrong on that.
I got curious, ran a search on it through GPA which is the online EZGO parts repository. All I found was the kit, part #614756 which is the whole she-bang. Retails for $380. I did not find any breakdowns on that unit or any other references to it, so I'm thinking it's the whole thing or nothing.

My access includes breakdowns of all of the rear differential units, and I checked through them on the off-chance it might list that unit. Found nothing.

Worth a shot, sorry I couldn't find anything helpful.
Dramier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramier View Post
I got curious, ran a search on it through GPA which is the online EZGO parts repository. All I found was the kit, part #614756 which is the whole she-bang. Retails for $380. I did not find any breakdowns on that unit or any other references to it, so I'm thinking it's the whole thing or nothing.

My access includes breakdowns of all of the rear differential units, and I checked through them on the off-chance it might list that unit. Found nothing.

Worth a shot, sorry I couldn't find anything helpful.
Thanks. I've Googled and searched just about everything I could but I didn't do what you did. I figure I will put a phone call into EZGO and see what that could possibly turn up. OTOH....I'm going to dig my old and very slow laptop out and see if I can find the PDF receipt on it that may tell me the exact type of limited slip I have. I'm pretty certain it's the EZGO......but I turned 60 this year and my memory seems to be going to crap. I could go on....jokes....but....darn...I forgot what I was typing.........
Old 08-04-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

if you have an electric rxv, it was factory equipped with the clutch type posi i have been talking about.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

No....Just look at my "stuff" in my signature box. Tells it all.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO