lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Billy Jack 1996 EZGO Medalist Project

We recently acquired our first electric golf cart and we plan to restore and upgrade it.

By looking up the serial number, this is the cart we got:
Make: Medalist
Type: Electric 36 V
Model: Electric Medalist
Year: 1996

Our current plans for this cart:

Fix or patch rust pieces on the frame or find a replacement frame if it's badly rusted.

Upgrade the controller, solenoid, cables and if budget allows convert the F/R to the newer F/R HD toggle switch type for future 48V upgrade.

Rebuilt axles and gears if needed.

Add Headlamp / Tail lamp

Check leafs /stocks and replaced if needed. We not sure about lifting it at this time unless the cost of replacing leaf and stock is same as lifting it.

Re-paint and recover seats.

Future plans (next year or later)

Change over to 48V batteries and charger

Add Lift with bigger tires

Replace motor with a performance motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (258.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (126.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart3.jpg (121.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart4.jpg (126.3 KB, 0 views)
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Billy Jack 1996 EZGO Medalist Project

Can anyone help me confirm from the picture in the previous post that we have a series cart correct?

I checked the http://www.cartsunlimited.net/tech-help-.html website and it does look like we have a series cart but I wanted to be sure.

Thank you
Bill
Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

OMG - Somebody actually read the Help section!?

Hi Bill -
It is definitely a series cart - Medalist too. Everything you see for a Medalist or TXT will fit this cart. Good luck with the project. You got a nice start.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #4
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I peeled back the floor mat as far I could and took photo of the floor underneath.

Can anyone tell me if the floor is part of the frame on EZGO or a separated sheet metal applied to the frame which could be easily replaced?

It doesn't look too promising. :(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 09, 3 32 01 PM.jpg (211.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
OMG - Somebody actually read the Help section!?

Hi Bill -
It is definitely a series cart - Medalist too. Everything you see for a Medalist or TXT will fit this cart. Good luck with the project. You got a nice start.
I am a networking field technician for a huge company in USA and yes I do RTFM! LOL

Thanks but right now I am concerned about the rust.

Everything else seem to be okay but I won't know until I start peeling away parts and look underneath.

Bill
Old 02-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Last night I charged the batteries for about 8 hours and unplugged it before I went to bed. I still don't have faith in old chargers yet. (bad experience in the past with old car chargers that was left overnight)

I haven't drove it yet today because I wanted to fully charge the battery before doing a load test on it but I went out to see where it measured at without the charger on it.

After 8 hours, I get a reading at 37.8 and around 6.25 to 6.31 each on each batteries after it been sitting overnight out in the cold weather.

My garage is full right now. I got a '86 Chevy square body truck which I am restoring inside my garage so the cart will have to sit outside in the back yard until I get the truck moved out of the garage.

Bill
Old 02-09-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I wanted to add that this thread is open for anyone who want to post something in it!

Anyone is welcome to post feedback, advice, stories, technical picture / web links or share experience on own restoration and repairs.

Bill
Old 02-09-2017, 05:38 PM   #8
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

First thing I am restoring is the charging plug and port on the cart.

The previous owner clipped it off and replaced it with a common household plug which is normally rated at 15 amp.

I ordered a replacement plug for the charger off the E-bay and I will be taking the charging port out of the cart to inspect it and put new wires on it or replaced it if needed.

I plan to use 10 AWG stranded wires but can anyone tell me what color the factory wires were? I wanted to keep it factory color as much possible to make it easier to follow wiring diagram if needed.

The wires on it now look like a solid 12 AWG wires used for in buildings so previous owner probably tried to fix it before adding another wires which we have to pull from under the seat to charge the batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 09, 3 28 18 PM.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 08, 11 24 17 AM.jpg (203.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Feb 09, 4 20 30 PM.jpg (168.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #9
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Bill,

Already gave the disclaimer in a previous post about me being a total rookie, but since nobody else has chimed in, I'll give you at least what I know. However, keep in mind, my cart is a 2001.

My floor pan, and what I'd guess would be called the firewall, were both separate sheets that were riveted to the frame. They were very easy to drill out. By the way, I had very good success with por 15 for painting the frame. It sounds like you're a car guy, so maybe you're already familiar with it. I heard about it here and got it at a hot rod shop. I wire wheeled all of the rust I could, but that product did a great job of covering/hardening what I didn't get off.

My reed switch ( not sure whether applicable to a marathon) had already been bypassed, so that wire wasn't there. There was a black wire to the negative and a white wire to the positive of the charge port. I can't remember if I replaced with 8 or 10g.

I would suggest finding the service manual for your cart and printing it out. I didn't have a lot of time but I tried finding yours where I had found the one for mine, but wasn't sure if it was correct. It was east coast carts website that had a free download of mine. Either way, if you're restoring that thing, it sure is a nice resource.

Oh, and take tons of pics. You'll use them to post here and remember how things go back together. I had a ton of pics, notes, and labeled everything I could. Some of it was overkill, but it's hard to know what you don't know w
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:49 AM   #10
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Bill,

Already gave the disclaimer in a previous post about me being a total rookie, but since nobody else has chimed in, I'll give you at least what I know. However, keep in mind, my cart is a 2001.

My floor pan, and what I'd guess would be called the firewall, were both separate sheets that were riveted to the frame. They were very easy to drill out. By the way, I had very good success with por 15 for painting the frame. It sounds like you're a car guy, so maybe you're already familiar with it. I heard about it here and got it at a hot rod shop. I wire wheeled all of the rust I could, but that product did a great job of covering/hardening what I didn't get off.

My reed switch ( not sure whether applicable to a marathon) had already been bypassed, so that wire wasn't there. There was a black wire to the negative and a white wire to the positive of the charge port. I can't remember if I replaced with 8 or 10g.

I would suggest finding the service manual for your cart and printing it out. I didn't have a lot of time but I tried finding yours where I had found the one for mine, but wasn't sure if it was correct. It was east coast carts website that had a free download of mine. Either way, if you're restoring that thing, it sure is a nice resource.

Oh, and take tons of pics. You'll use them to post here and remember how things go back together. I had a ton of pics, notes, and labeled everything I could. Some of it was overkill, but it's hard to know what you don't know w
It what I am hoping that Medalist will be the same, a floor pan rivited to the frame which can be easily replaced with new sheet metal. Maybe one of them duck webbed aluminum sheet metal.

And I am hoping that frame are only surface rusted.

I am a truck guy but yes I am awared what por 15 is. I seen it on trucking tv show where they applied it directly on rusted truck frame with a paint brush. I was thinking about applying bed liner on my frame.

I did downloaded a service manual last fall when I got the cart but I forgot which folder I put it in on my laptop. I will evenly find it heh

Thank you for the feedback!

Bill
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO