lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #41
CPOdaddyduke
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '85 Marathon Gas Runs Erratic - full bore or nada

Finally: SUCCESS: PROBLEM SOLVED:
(although I'm a little embarrassed why)

I got the other carb cleaned up and ready to replace, but I thought I'd "re-baseline" everything to make sure I was still chasing the same problem.

Just to make sure the new electric fuel pump was working properly, I disconnected the fuel hose from the carb and turned on the engine - WOW! it hit me like a ton of bricks - what spewed out was a yucky red gobbledeegook instead of nice-looking blue gasoline. Like an idiot, after replacing almost everything else, I was re-using the old fuel filter, which I have now figured out was disintegrating internally and contaminating the fuel, which was apparently clogging up the carburetor.

After a fuel flush, I reconnected, restarted, and it started right up (needed full choke for about 5 seconds); it ran a little choppy for about 10-15 seconds, then gradually smoothed out, and continued to run BEAUTIFULLY. I mean, it was jam up and jelly tight. It ran just smooth as silk, good response throughout the throttle range.

I then replaced the drive belt and drove it for about 2 miles. Nice! Very smooth, quiet, nice and slow (pulling at very low throttle), and revving up to about what felt like 10-15 MPH. This thing runs GREAT!

Very good. Thanks for all the help and insights. I have gotten quite an education from working on this.
CPOdaddyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #42
CPOdaddyduke
Not Yet Wild

After a few days of operation, it is still running fine, but I ran upon a couple of glitches that someone else might be interested in.

1. The problem I alluded to earlier, about the fuel filter disintegrating and contaminating the fuel - turns out I was mistaken: after some investigation, I discovered it was actually the fuel hose that was contaminating the fuel. I had bought a [cheap] section of new fuel hose to run from the tank to the fuel pump, and later figured out that the 10% ethanol in the fuel was most likely breaking down the rubber liner in the hose. I tested this by taking another section of the same hose, filling it with clean gasoline and proping it up overnight in a vise - next day, it poured out "red" dirty looking gasoline. -- So, the lesson is, BEWARE the type/quality/composition/application of rubber hose you get; spend a bit more and get good quality and properly spec hose for the application.

My fuel filters are OK and back in use - I'm using two, before and after the electric fuel pump.

2. I was driving the cart down the road and it just died. Shut right off. Would not restart, had to tow back home. Come to find out that the brand new spark plug had fouled. It didn't gunk up, somehow a piece of trash (likely a piece of carbon) got lodged in the gap of the plug, making it misfire. Cleaned the plug and back to running fine. My best guess is that since I did not tear down the entire crankcase, I did not clean out the combustion chamber - amidst all the handling and stuff of the engine, some particles of carbon came loose and one just miraculously got caught in the spark plug gap.

Anyway, all fixed now and running fine again.

BTW, I ended up using some plastic tubing for fuel line (not sure of exact composition, but came out of a salvaged/junk lab equipment that handled a variety of harsh and caustic chemicals). Used very short pieces of 30R7 to make the connections (I will eventually replace these with some 30R9 hose or some other fitting that will better stand up to the fuel mix).

My wife is loving the cart - she has mobility again, and is able to move about the farm that she hasn't been able to do in almost a year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6080006.jpg (64.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #43
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Great news, Glad it's running nicely for ya.

As far as fuel line goes;
I've used the black fuel line without issue for years but now I only use the tinted blue stuff, It's so nice to be able to see the fuel flowing through it when problems arise. I don't remember what it costs but less than a buck a foot, Which means only a few bucks to do the buggy. It's easier to work with too, I don't bother with hose clamps just wire tie wraps.....

Oh, I also only use the clear fuel filters too.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #44
CPOdaddyduke
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
As far as fuel line goes; ...
I also only use the clear fuel filters too.
I, also, have used the generic black fuel hose for years, on many applications. I checked my box of scraps and most of it is 30R7, which is suitable for low-pressure gasoline/diesel service. Apparently, I just bought a cheaper composition of 30R7 that reacted with the ethanol. I repeated the experiment with one of my old pieces and it did not do it. Also, after I removed the 3-ft section from the cart, I noticed that it had swollen to nearly 150% of it's original size. Never had that happen before.

(if you buy the Goodyear brand "Continental Elite", it's specifications call out methanol/ethanol compatibility - I didn't get this "good" stuff - my bad - will be more careful in future) - I will test the new stuff I bought on diesel, maybe I can use it on my tractors. -- I also found a station about 20 minutes away that sells ethanol-free gasoline, I'll consider switching to it for all my small-engine applications - probably a good idea, many people already do (it doesn't go stale very fast).

I really like the translucent line and filters, an extra measure of comfort to see the fuel moving.

I checked out the plastic tubing I used; it is PE and was previously used in a machine that transported methanol, acetone, and photoresist. So I know it will stand up to the "gasahol" all day long, but not any heat (why it's no good for automotive application) - but it is not subject to much heat in the cart engine compartment where I have it routed, so I think it will be OK. I'll be watching it for a whilke anyway.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO