lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

View Poll Results: If you had a choice to buy either a 2012 RXV and a 2012 TXT, when would you buy rxv
I would pay $200 more for the RXV 10 52.63%
I would pay up to $100 more for the RXV 0 0%
I would buy the RXV if prices were the same 2 10.53%
I would buy the TXT if prices were the same 7 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 AM   #1
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Default Would you buy RXV or TXT, Ceteris Paribus

If you had choice between a 2012 TXT and a 2012 RXV, all other things being equal, under what conditions would you choose the RXV?
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Would you buy RXV or TXT, Ceteris Paribus

Can't honestly give this a good answer, a 2012.5 & newer "Curtis" rxv is nice, an older one could be a problem to me.....(did not vote) question was too vague. Newer Curtis rxv is a "nice ride" to me, older "danaher" is a problem because of parts availability & more vauge diagnostics. 2012.5 was the "crossover" to Curtis controllers, a whole different RXV. Early software had flaws (as did danaher software). Guess it's back to the question, what color is the heat shield above your controller? Aluminum? Or black?.
If I we're sticking with "old school", I guess TXT. If I we're looking at "can my average techs fix it?" TXT all the way....

If I we're willing to dip my finger into the pond of "what might work really cool", make more miles per charge, have max regenerative brakes (puts MAX energy back into batteries), then RXV. It can be a very impressive platform (really impressive when "tuned up"). For a awesome "as delivered​" powerhouse, try the AC Yamaha. It's a beast as delivered, and I'm glad its tough, because it's locked up, I can't tune it much. (Ha, shameless plug, I am a Yamaha guy and​ glad to see a factory setup that has power to kill the competition). Hate all day long.......
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:33 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordpi View Post
If you had choice between a 2012 TXT and a 2012 RXV, all other things being equal, under what conditions would you choose the RXV?
I'm with cgtech on this. I love the RXV due to the AC drive system, but as most of the guys that know me on here know, I am not a fan of the Danaher controller equipped RVXs due to the many problems associated with those controllers. Feb 23rd 2012 was the switchover date according to E-Z-GO. I now have an older RXV, a 2008 Shuttle 2+2, which I converted to a 2012 Curtis controller. I prefer AC drive due to the advantages. It's a personal preference that is not shared by many. My biggest likes with the Curtis controlled RXV are the ability to tune performance with intricate detail throughout the RPM range, the higher RPM capability of the RXV AC motor, higher efficiency, and the ability to customize operation mostly by programming alone.

Having said that. The RXV, especially the Danaher equipped RXV, is a royal pain in the butt to run diagnostics on if you don't have the diagnostic handsets. The RXV handset for the Danaher is not compatible with other E-Z-GO cart controllers, and is more expensive than the Curtis handset. Even if you have the RXV handset, the Danaher diagnostics are vague.

The TXT has more comprehensive diagnostics, which can be run without requiring a handset. Aftermarket controllers are readilly available, and are less expensive than the RXV controllers. You have many choices of motors and other upgrade components.

I hope this information helps you to choose which is right for you.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I had a TXT PDS for six years and loved it, all stock except fancy 205x30-12 wheels.

I since bought an RXV all stock except 205x65-10 wheels and there is no comparison. The RXV is so much better than the TXT. I have no intensions of modifying this cart in anyway. I bought a Curtis OEM handheld programmer to help me with any problems that comes my way. I like to work and fix my own cart and enjoy doing it.

I think you should drive both and decide what you want to do with your cart before you buy.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
If performance is important, both top speed and the ability to hold speed on inclines. Top speed can be increased just by installing bigger tires and nothing else with no or very little sacrifice in torque. You have qualified and competent repair service readily available. You don't intend to self diagnose, repair or modify the carts electrical system in any way unless you take the time and research how the cart works so you understand it completely and are careful about what you do. The cart is not likely to be abused by drivers.

I have one of each at the moment. The RXV is superior except as noted.

I also would like to comment on the AC Yammi. It is a beast on paper. More powerful the the RXV but more conventional also. There are some unknowns as it hasn't been available long. Fleet models probably more locked down than the PTV models and can either be unlocked? I don't know but if they can be at least released to the standard 19.6mph as the others then it will be the equal at least of the RXV on the flats and probably even better on the hills.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Lets make this simple

Hills -- RXV

No hills --- Whatever floats your boat
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Can't honestly give this a good answer, a 2012.5 & newer "Curtis" rxv is nice, an older one could be a problem to me.....(did not vote) question was too vague. Newer Curtis rxv is a "nice ride" to me, older "danaher" is a problem because of parts availability & more vauge diagnostics. 2012.5 was the "crossover" to Curtis controllers, a whole different RXV. Early software had flaws (as did danaher software). Guess it's back to the question, what color is the heat shield above your controller? Aluminum? Or black?.
If I we're sticking with "old school", I guess TXT. If I we're looking at "can my average techs fix it?" TXT all the way....

If I we're willing to dip my finger into the pond of "what might work really cool", make more miles per charge, have max regenerative brakes (puts MAX energy back into batteries), then RXV. It can be a very impressive platform (really impressive when "tuned up"). For a awesome "as delivered​" powerhouse, try the AC Yamaha. It's a beast as delivered, and I'm glad its tough, because it's locked up, I can't tune it much. (Ha, shameless plug, I am a Yamaha guy and​ glad to see a factory setup that has power to kill the competition). Hate all day long.......
One person told me to check and see if the controller was silver or black. Does that tell me which controller is newer and which is older?

Also, with the 12.5's and up, if you buy the handheld diagnostic tool, does that make it easier to trouble shoot and repair than the txt?
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
jmauld
Getting Wild

The black heat shield is the newer controller.
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
One person told me to check and see if the controller was silver or black. Does that tell me which controller is newer and which is older?

Also, with the 12.5's and up, if you buy the handheld diagnostic tool, does that make it easier to trouble shoot and repair than the txt?
Heat shield is black on curtis (2012.5) or newer or silver on older Danaher carts.
Note arrow in the picture. Also 8v batteries in this cart. 12v is standard and a weakness IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0445.jpg (365.9 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
jmauld
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Lets make this simple

Hills -- RXV

No hills --- Whatever floats your boat
I live in an extremely flat area. The biggest elevation change in the area is probably 6'.

Our old 36V TXT would make you realize there were slight hills around. Hills that were so slight, we never even noticed them before, not even on a bicycle. The RXV pays no attention to them.
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO