lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #1
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2011 Ezgo Txt48 stock overvoltage value?

Hello all,

I have a stock EZGO Txt48. Looking to go Lithium. I may upgrade controller later but want to run stock controller for now. Trouble is, lithium batteries have different voltage profiles than FLA. Can anybody tell me the stock overvoltage threshold of the curtis controller?

I don't know the controller number, but I do know it is the one with the round, 4 prong programmer connector.

Here are my battery pack options, max voltage as configured for 48v golf cart:
Chevy Volt, 50.4v
Fiat 500e, 50.4v
Tesla, 58v
Leaf, 58.8v

Any help is appreciated.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2011 Ezgo Txt48 stock overvoltage value?

Oh, and if anybody knows the stock low voltage cutoff that would be appreciated as well.

I know I can rent a controller-programmer on Ebay, but if the stock values are good as is then I can leave the controller as is for now.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Bueller, Bueller...

I know someone knows the stock overvolt/undervolt values of a TXT48!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your controller is a Curtis 1206HB-5201.

The Under-voltage and Over-voltage information isn't published by EZGO or Curtis.

On the other hand, I suspect the over-voltage threshold is above 60V, because the on-charge voltage for a 48V pack made up of US Battery batteries can go higher than 60V.

As for the under-voltage threshold, they probably don't want to drop the cells much below 1.5VPC, which would be 36V for the 24 cells of a 48V pack. My guess is about 30V, but might be a bit lower, or higher.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB!

The Tesla batts are 62.2 IIRC so that may trigger the limit so I'll not get the Tesla pack.

The others packs (Leaf, Volt and Fiat) are all lower than 60v so those will be fine to use without reprogramming the controller for now. I'll have to reprogram eventually for the low-voltage cutout, but I can run it for a few weeks without issue.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I don't know the cutoff in a txt, but the rxv doesn't require mods. I would select a pack that will be below 60v at full charge & go for it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks CGTech!
Old 07-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #8
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just to circle back. I bought a part of a chevy volt lithium pack. I've tapped into it so I am only using 14S. There are 5 cells left, I may use 4 of those charged to 3.75v as a 15V power source for the lights and radio, leaving one never used. It'll be like two packs just sitting side by side.

These cells are 4.2v fully charged but my target is 4.1vpc for longevity. in a 14S pack, that's 57.4v.

So I mounted the pack in the cart and it didn't move. I had the charger safety wire disconnected...

Once I figured that out I put my Lithium Ion charger on it and the internal cooling fan crapped out once it reached 53.8v and now nothing. So much for that new charger.

But, the cart hauls buggy with 53.8v! Stock controller and the prior owner had it programmed to minimum regen braking and it feels like a pretty slow acceleration map. But with the loss of 400 lbs even on the same programming I now have the fastest accelerating cart on my street!

I am now using my Powerwise charger and just keeping an eye on the voltage. I don't know what V the QE stops at, but I'll watch it and unploug it around 56v, well below my target max V and even further below the real max V.

I've got an order in to ScottyB for a TXT48300 Alltrax controller. This way I can program the min voltage so I don't accidentally brick my lithium pack.

Now off to find a Lithium Ion 14s charger. I also reverse counted the BMS so all the magic smoke went out of it. But I'm keeping an eye on the individual cell voltages and they are all reading the same V while charging and after a run.

I'll get some pictures and post them soon.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, uploaded some pics. It's charging on the stock charger now. Please excuse the other wires in the background. They are from what used to be the 12v radio battery. In a future episode, that will be connected to the remaining unused cells of this main battery.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO