lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Looking to buy a TXT

Hello all: I am going to take a look at a TXT this afternoon and wanted to get advice on what I should be focused on when I am taking a look. I do plan to measure battery voltages at a minimum and will be looking for corrosion/rust. The cart has Trojan batteries that are 1 year old.

Can someone provide a voltage range I should be looking for on individual batteries as well as the total pack?

I don't know the year, only know its 36 volt. Any other thoughts on what to review are appreciated.
Rainman
Rainman4820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Looking to buy a TXT

What will the cart be used for and which drive system is in the cart? See chart attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo TXT drive system ID.jpg (205.7 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

EZGO stopped making 36v carts in early 2010 and Club Car long before that. I suggest you shop for a 48v cart if feasible unless you want a 36v cart for some reason.
It is common for sellers of electric carts to be "creative" in the description of the condition and age of the batteries. Batteries might be a year old but get proof other than someone's word. Also, batteries can be ruined in less than a year through neglect and/or abuse so even if they actually are that young no guarantee they are good.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok thanks for the responses. The cart will be used off-road as a farm cart on generally flat terrain and at this point I don't know whether sepex or series but I do know how to tell the difference and will report back. Should I necessarily avoid one vs. the other?

I have a 91 Marathon so that is my only reference point is 36 volt carts. My brother is the buyer and if I can give him a few reasons to go 48 vs. 36 that would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

48v offers more power and efficiency. All 48v carts will be sepex when coming from the factory.
No one makes series carts anymore either. However for your application they might be better. Simple and rugged generally. Better at crawling around at slow speed (less heat generated). More expensive to upgrade but maybe not of interest to you.
I would say that any TXT whether series or sepex, 36 or 48v will feel stronger than your Marathon.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #6
Rainman4820
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the response.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Since it will mainly be used offroad, steering tightness may not be much of an issue. However, braking would be. Take a smart phone and use EZGO's serial number lookup to determine age. Look at all of the Zerks, which have probably never been used (lube). If you can, remove one battery and see how much corrosion there is on the battery supports. There will always be some, but make sure it isn't excessive. Download the manuals and they will tell you the expected stopping distance at wide open throttle (WOT). While at WOT, check steering "slop" and also use your phone to GPS the speed. If you can take a passenger, hook up your DVM to the full pack and see how much the voltage drops at WOT. A sign of "abuse" is seeing any battery below 6.37 volts, 24 hours after a full charge. Check battery electrolyte levels on ALL 3 x 6 = 18 cells. Check ALL cables for corrosion at the ends, and ride it for a while, then see if any of the cable ends are warm/hot, especially on the FNR, if it's a Series.

All I can think of for now.

Most of these may not be deal breakers, but rather, bargaining chips for a better price.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

FWIW, I love my series, though it costs a LOT to upgrade. I drag trees to our fire pit, and outrun all carts in the 'hood I've raced. It ain't pretty, but it's a beast.

If I were to buy a farm buggy, I'd do a Workhorse gasser. I got one for free, and it had a dump bed and a seized up engine. I spent a little over $200 to rebuild the engine, and it already had HD springs, tight steering, and by disabling the governor, was a machine! Just too loud for me, and I didn't have the space for both sparky and gasser. Wish I'd kept her though.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We have nothing but electrics on the ranch for 2 generations. They are easy to jump in and press the go pedal, no starting or warm up. And they move among the animals without startling em, which is why they are so popular with the hunters.
So yeah, Electrics have their place on the farm too.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Good point. I wasn't thinking about animals, not only noise, but exhaust fumes. I also live in the deep south, so warming up wasn't an issue. Can't just start it up like a car, turn on the heat, and come back after a cup of coffee.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO