lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Prolink Cart Kill

I bought a third hand basket case electric RXV. I have the cart all put back together and working good now, but this was in one of the parts boxes. I assume that it is some kind of a kill switch or aftermarket theft protection device, but after googling it I still have no answers. I really don't have a need for it, but I am just curious exactly what it is. It had a piece of wiring harness with it also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180123_110759.jpg (267.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180123_111125.jpg (278.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180123_111218.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Prolink Cart Kill

its not a voltage reducer?
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Power comes in on two of the three wires and when the switch is toggled, the relay energizes and power goes out on the third wire, so you are most likely right about it being a kill switch of some kind, but design doesn't make much sense.

Basically relays perform one of two functions, switching different value voltages or switching different value amps. In this thing, it looks like the voltage being switch is the same as the incoming voltage and judging from the size of the relay, the amp rating of the relay contacts don't appear to be any higher than the switch's, so why use a relay?

There are some markings on the relay top, but they're not readable in the pictures. If given, the coil's voltage rating will tell you the operating voltage for the gadget.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Power comes in on two of the three wires and when the switch is toggled, the relay energizes and power goes out on the third wire, so you are most likely right about it being a kill switch of some kind, but design doesn't make much sense.

Basically relays perform one of two functions, switching different value voltages or switching different value amps. In this thing, it looks like the voltage being switch is the same as the incoming voltage and judging from the size of the relay, the amp rating of the relay contacts don't appear to be any higher than the switch's, so why use a relay?

There are some markings on the relay top, but they're not readable in the pictures. If given, the coil's voltage rating will tell you the operating voltage for the gadget.
The coil voltage rating is 48VDC. It's within the lower left quadrant of the relay. I zoomed in on it.
A switch somewhere in line with the main solenoid power would be a lot simpler and be just as effective.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
The coil voltage rating is 48VDC. It's within the lower left quadrant of the relay. I zoomed in on it.
A switch somewhere in line with the main solenoid power would be a lot simpler and be just as effective.
And wouldn't add a parasitic load to the batteries.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
sleeplesstwo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

48 volts is correct for relay coil. A circuit board with a resistor, diode, single pole double throw 48 volt coil relay, in a weatherproof enclosure with a weatherproof switch that can be toggled from outside the box. This is definitely a manufactured part is what makes it so odd also. I agree that if you wanted a discrete switch to immobilize the cart, why not just break the solenoid wire? Could it be that this cart might have had some kind of remote shut down at a golf course?
sleeplesstwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elecrical, kill switch, parts
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO