lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
dougmch
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO RXV lift kit and brake help 2009

Hi Forum.

Needing help on finding brakes for our 2009 RXV project cart, and finding a lift kit if what we ordered isn't the right thing.

Background:

1. On a retailer's advice my project partner (teenage son) bought a Jakes 6 inch long travel lift kit, 23 inch tires, and the Jakes long travel brakes. In the interest of stability, based on forum posts and the advice of guru Bob Boyce, we will be returning the lift kit and tires/wheels. Bought 20 inch DOT tires on 14 inch wheels. (better to pay some return shipping rather than regret choices).

2. Our compromise was 3 inch lift. My son ordered a "3 inch drop spindle lift kit" made by "RHOX" which I'm guessing is an offshore company.

3. Best I can tell brakes are a function of length of hydraulic line, enough space for rotors, and maybe spindle dimensions/configuration are also relevant.

4. The 6 inch lift, big tires, brakes (and some other stuff) are coming from Vendor #1. The smaller tires and spindle lift are from Vendor #2 (couldn't find reasonable DOT 20 inch tires/wheels from Vendor #1). So we can't say to either vendor "prove that this stuff will work together". Vendor #2 doesn't sell brakes. We don't mind going back to either vendor though, they're both getting business from us.

5. Want brakes.

Questions:

1. Do spindle sizes vary? What is standard? What might the "RHOX" be?
2. Do brakes vary based on spindle size?
3. Any chance the Jakes long travel brakes would work for us here? Just route the extra few inches of hydraulic hose somewhere? I don't want to open the package to try to figure it out unless we think it will work.
4. How do I figure out what to get for brakes? Where?
5. We'll return the 3 inch lift if need be, and buy something else, if that is what is required.

Discussion:

I called the Jakes web phone number and ended back with the salesman who sold my son the 6 inch lift and big tires. In his earlier sales pitches he was earnest and convincing that those choices wouldn't compromise anything (stability, longevity, etc.). A good guy but I don't think he drives around in carts nor works on carts, and he consults his technician for what's OK to do. He told me that our controller was "350 amp and would handle it fine", and neither are true. His job is to sell and he's good at it.

We trust what is said here.

Thank you for your help.

Doug
dougmch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Default Re: EZGO RXV lift kit and brake help 2009

Controller and motor on stock RXV WILL handle lift and larger tires just fine in most circumstances.

Lift kits on any vehicle will reduce stability--- what constitutes compromising it is open for discussion.

Salesman did not mislead you.

I do not like lifting any golf cart-- no functional benefit.

Just larger tires makes cart perform better .... does not have huge effect on brakeing

if you leave drive system alone ..... larger tires do not require additional brakes
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO RXV lift kit and brake help 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Controller and motor on stock RXV WILL handle lift and larger tires just fine in most circumstances.

Lift kits on any vehicle will reduce stability--- what constitutes compromising it is open for discussion.

Salesman did not mislead you.

I do not like lifting any golf cart-- no functional benefit.

Just larger tires makes cart perform better .... does not have huge effect on brakeing

if you leave drive system alone ..... larger tires do not require additional brakes
Just like larger tires reduce the drive torque on any cart, since regen braking is the only braking on the RXV, larger tires DO reduce the effectiveness of braking. It's the same torque issue in reverse. I set up his controller for 20.5" tires, so his accell and decell braking are tuned for that tire size. It requires a much more aggressive decell rate to increase braking for larger tires, and accell must be toned down and brought in at lower RPM steps to prevent controller overheat. Nothing tuning-wise can prevent the motor from running hotter though. Even though the tires are larger, top end drops because the reduced torque cannot be fully compensated for without going to a higher current controller. I have replaced stock RXV controllers for members here that have burned theirs out from repeated overheat from driving RXVs with 23" tires. Those controllers were stock programmed, not hopped up for performance, or tuned to work with larger tires. That is a fact, which is why I warn against 23" tires. I get to review the error logs, and the one common theme is a max error entry limit (255) of Controller Overcurrent Error. So 23" tires do have a detrimental effect upon RXV controllers in the long run.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a arm, disc, disk, jakes, spindle
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO