lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are my Batteries toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redgt View Post
right after disconnecting the charger.. Ill let it sit for 12 hours and take another reading
Having 37.5V right after charger is disconnected means the batteries were never charged anyplace remotely close to a full charge.

What make/model charger do you have?

Normal voltage immediately after charger shuts off is at least 44V, preferably higher.

After resting for 12 hours, the voltage ought to be 38.2V or so, depending on battery brand.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Is your charger the 20 year old POWERWISE? After using the Summit II for a few months i can tell you there is a big different in Battery performance. Its like comparing a Pinto to a Corvette.
I have noticed that the Summit II will provide almost 25% more voltage than what is written on the battery during the final stage of charging.
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #13
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Having 37.5V right after charger is disconnected means the batteries were never charged anyplace remotely close to a full charge.

What make/model charger do you have?

Normal voltage immediately after charger shuts off is at least 44V, preferably higher.

After resting for 12 hours, the voltage ought to be 38.2V or so, depending on battery brand.
I have a TOTAL CHARGE III and that may be the problem.
I noticed something when I was moving it while plugged in, If I tilt it on its back feet, I can hear a relay click and the "humm" change frequency, then the amp meter goes up to about 18, otherwise sitting flat, its only barely reading, maybe 3 amps. Also, when its at 18 amps the digital meter shows about 40 volts on the pack. Not sure whats "normal" is.

Thanks
89redgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #14
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
Is your charger the 20 year old POWERWISE? After using the Summit II for a few months i can tell you there is a big different in Battery performance. Its like comparing a Pinto to a Corvette.
I have noticed that the Summit II will provide almost 25% more voltage than what is written on the battery during the final stage of charging.
I was looking at those.. I want one that can go from 36 to 48 volts b/c after these 6vs' are dead. thats where I m going. which model do you have?
Old 10-30-2019, 10:56 AM   #15
LabRat
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

The Summit II have the AUTO voltage ability. 30600 about $400...well worth the money. Check out some sponsor on BGW, You need a Bluetooth phone to set Battery profile & to monitor charge & faults
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redgt View Post
I have a TOTAL CHARGE III and that may be the problem.
I noticed something when I was moving it while plugged in, If I tilt it on its back feet, I can hear a relay click and the "humm" change frequency, then the amp meter goes up to about 18, otherwise sitting flat, its only barely reading, maybe 3 amps. Also, when its at 18 amps the digital meter shows about 40 volts on the pack. Not sure whats "normal" is.

Thanks
Something is amiss with your TC-III. The amps out ought to be the same whether tilted or sitting flat. Amps out are determined by output voltage, which is the On-Charge voltage of the battery pack it is connected to.

Normal operation is for the amps to start at about 18A or so and stay there until the On-Charge voltage approaches about 42V, then start tapering off as the On-Charge voltage climbs to the cut-off voltage, which is in the 44V to 46V range. (It was designed to mimic the attached recommended charge profile from Trojan)

Also attached is a service manual for a TC-III. Open it up and see if you can find whatever is loose.

If nothing jumps out at you, rig up some way of tilting it while it charges and let it run at 18A until it shuts itself off, or 16 hours, whichever comes first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charge curve.JPG (33.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Total Charge III Parts and service-1.pdf (3.28 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Something is amiss with your TC-III. The amps out ought to be the same whether tilted or sitting flat. Amps out are determined by output voltage, which is the On-Charge voltage of the battery pack it is connected to.

Normal operation is for the amps to start at about 18A or so and stay there until the On-Charge voltage approaches about 42V, then start tapering off as the On-Charge voltage climbs to the cut-off voltage, which is in the 44V to 46V range. (It was designed to mimic the attached recommended charge profile from Trojan)

Also attached is a service manual for a TC-III. Open it up and see if you can find whatever is loose.

If nothing jumps out at you, rig up some way of tilting it while it charges and let it run at 18A until it shuts itself off, or 16 hours, whichever comes first.
thats awesome!!! thanks JohnnieB
Old 10-30-2019, 12:19 PM   #18
89redgt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
The Summit II have the AUTO voltage ability. 30600 about $400...well worth the money. Check out some sponsor on BGW, You need a Bluetooth phone to set Battery profile & to monitor charge & faults
Thanks!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO