lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1991 Club Car Gas

Well please educate me. Will my cart have the ability to do this with a rebuild? I’m totally fine with that if it’s possible. What are somethings I need to look at/replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
I’m happy with the stock motor for my purposes. And I have so many parts laying around I would just fix it. Yes the KF82/341cc flathead motor was the stock gas motor in all the gas Club Cars from 1984-1991.

Hey man it seems that you have a wealth of knowledge on my particular cc. I’m wondering now if I’d be better off with a rebuild when the time comes. Also what size tires could I go with without a lift? We ride a lot on trails so some sort of A/T tire would be nice. Just don’t want to strain the motor too much.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #13
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I’ve heard you can run 20” tires on the stock suspension...but be careful if you load the cart down because you could have rubbing issues.

It really depends on how many people and the age of those people whether or not you should upgrade your motor. Also important is how hilly is the area you will be driving. My immediate family consists of myself, my wife, and my 6yo daughter. We drive our carts on light trails up and down hills and campground roads. The stock motor in my ‘87 has kept up with our demands for over 6 years. There are times that I can feel the limits of the stock motor. For instance when climbing a steep hill with all three of us on it, the cart will slow down to almost walking speed (but we always crest the hill). I have a buddy who also has a 1987 cart with the same motor, and he has a family of four (considerably more weight) and when fully loaded...his cart slows down on hills that mine handles with relative ease. Again the key difference is all about how much the cart is loaded and the terrain. My buddy is thinking about swapping his motor for something more powerful.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I've noticed the Kawasaki FE290 cars have two different gear ratios for the rear depending on generation. Gen 1 92-200x? was the granny low only, revs up high if you go past 15. Later on after 2001 or something they got better rear ratios and you can go like 20 max without a lift just by adjusting the accelerator cable travel in the pedal box and remove the RPM limiter. But it will likely diesel when you come to a stop.

The '84-91 Flatheads all have granny lows; on lifts i've only gotten them to 18 and even then they're screaming-afraid to go any higher. Ever had a Briggs self destruct on a go-kart? it's not fun!
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

You can run a 19x7-8 (fairly common size) without a lift. You'll rub like crazy with 20" tires and no lift. But with the 1" budget lift and some DIY shackles for the rear you can run 20" tires, and its still really close.

This blue cart was my DS on 20x10-10 tires and 1" steeling budget lift. I didnt want to put a big lift on that cart, it was too fast and needed the lower center of gravity for stability. It would comfortably cruise 25mph (which was still too fast for me...)

My current DS is a 2002 and will cruise 20mph before hitting the rev limiter. Fresh rebuilt FE290 and stock 18" tires, rebuilt stock suspension and no plans to lift. I just dont like the way a lifted cart rides. Nothing beats the stock ride of a DS IMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190811_161830.jpg (529.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

And yes, when it comes to the KF82 springbok is the man
Old 12-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Default 1991 Club Car Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You can run a 19x7-8 (fairly common size) without a lift. You'll rub like crazy with 20" tires and no lift. But with the 1" budget lift and some DIY shackles for the rear you can run 20" tires, and its still really close.

This blue cart was my DS on 20x10-10 tires and 1" steeling budget lift. I didnt want to put a big lift on that cart, it was too fast and needed the lower center of gravity for stability. It would comfortably cruise 25mph (which was still too fast for me...)

My current DS is a 2002 and will cruise 20mph before hitting the rev limiter. Fresh rebuilt FE290 and stock 18" tires, rebuilt stock suspension and no plans to lift. I just dont like the way a lifted cart rides. Nothing beats the stock ride of a DS IMO

Thanks for the info. Really don’t want to lift just want to ditch the turf tires for something better on dirt and some trails. My ‘91 is a little slow but I have no problems with it other than what I’ve mentioned. I’ll look into the 19x7-8 tires. Thanks again guys.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just be sure to check weight ratings. Most of the 19x7-8 and 19x8-8 tires are for little 4wheelers and stuff but there are some 6ply ones that will fit a golf cart.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #19
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Where does one get parts for this engine these days? Club Car and Nivel all stopped production of even ignition coils for these and seem non-obtainable, and no rebuilder in our network will touch 'em with a 10 ft pole. Either these engines are garbage (they went to Kawasaki for a reason) or just outdated. They always remind me of an old Briggs and Stratton but without the reliability of one. A Predator swap is easy at least, but you lose the starter/generator (it's an easy swap either way though) and that's what we've told customers we can do if one of theirs self-destructs.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #20
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Where does one get parts for this engine these days? Club Car and Nivel all stopped production of even ignition coils for these and seem non-obtainable, and no rebuilder in our network will touch 'em with a 10 ft pole. Either these engines are garbage (they went to Kawasaki for a reason) or just outdated. They always remind me of an old Briggs and Stratton but without the reliability of one. A Predator swap is easy at least, but you lose the starter/generator (it's an easy swap either way though) and that's what we've told customers we can do if one of theirs self-destructs.

I have no clue since mine is running and I’m just starting to plan ahead. If I do a swap I’d like to retain the generator and regular start. I appreciate the input. Currently looking at a 460 clone but no clue what fab work it needs to be right.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car