lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2019, 05:12 PM   #21
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 Club Car Gas

I don't think these engines are garbage, although finding parts can be a challenge at times.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #22
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm just curious why Club Car gave up on them (and seems to have kept the FE290/350 since--although we never get anything newer than 2014 in our shop) and why they have cut the parts for them completely where even ignition coils cannot be sourced (from anywhere we have searched both online and via parts books.)

We only got one NOS coil left in stock from 2011 (date code) and we got TONS with old cars rolling in. We recently did a tune up on two 341s and one had a predator swap in progress and needed help with wiring.

Predator seems to be bolt on and the only issue is you lose charging. The electric start is easy to rig up to the factory switches. It's LOUD though. You can't use the factory muffler and the stock Predator one is not very good. Hardest part is getting the carb linkage to work with the factory cables--that's a pain!
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #23
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I've never really dug into a kf82 before the last couple days, and I really don't think it's a bad engine at all. Just dated, and yes it reminds me of a lawnmower engine lol just a lot smoother and quieter. The intake port/choke button is way louder than the engine itself, though there may be a bit of amplification effect because my cart has a full hard cab on it.

I'm still dialing it in, but for a cart that has sat for years, it took very little to get it to run. If it really was a junk engine I dont think that would be the case

Probably the main reason it was discontinued is just because it's old technology. They got a little more power and economy out of a smaller motor in the FE series. But yes, parts are getting hard to find but I think thats true of any old discontinued part or motor. The old Robin's ezgo motors, yamaha G2/G9, Harley's, etc.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #24
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
We only got one NOS coil left in stock from 2011 (date code) and we got TONS with old cars rolling in.
Are you saying that you have 1 brand new NOS coil and several used (but operational) coils from discarded KF82 motors? If so I will bookmark your contact info and call you when I need a replacement coil.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #25
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

We only got one GOOD new coil and NO used ones. The motors that self destructed the owner just either salvaged the car or scrapped the engine and all parts and put a Predator (Harbor Freight) engine in its place. That will get some speed! When i said we had TONs with cars rolling in i meant TONS of customers with old cars in need of repair or tune up. Thankfully not any with bad coils. yet. We mainly favor older cars because folks in rural areas in KY are cheap.

We have no used ones. any we had that came off were bad and there was no fire or the cable going to the plug had disintegrated.

None of the flatheads we worked on that ran were quiet one bit. Not loud like an aftermarket engine but compared with a well-tuned FE290 it's louder than anything. The mufflers are likely worn out most of the time (cars coming in for repair are very much beaters) but the way they mount up makes your teeth almost chatter out riding around in one. They 'scream' at any higher speed beyond 15 MPH which i would recommend not going past for long life. It's like the engine wants to rip itself apart and all the bearings screech which is when i stop going faster--i use that as a reference to how fast i'm willing to go on one. It's not the engine that's loud but the exhaust. Like how a go-kart with a 50-year old Briggs sounds without a muffler.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Wild. I've got 3 carts right now, an 01 or 02 ezgo with the 2 cylinder Robin's, an 02 DS with a FE290 I just rebuilt a couple months ago and this 1991 carryall.

The ezgo is noticeably the quietest of the bunch. Not by a landslide but its definitely quieter. The other 2 are about the same, if anything I think the kf82 is quieter than my FE290. Nothing wrong with the 290, probably my favorite motor for a golf cart next to the 350 in terms of reliability and simplicity to work on, but I cant really say anything bad at all about the kf82.

And I'm judging sound by standing outside the cart with the seat or bed or whatever removed. Trying to compare while driving wouldnt be fair. I cant hear the engine running in the carryall at all when I drive it because of the cab. But man that intake is kinda annoying. I might have to think of some other way to route the intake on this one. The only thing louder than the intake is the aluminum doors rattling on the cab frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191208_160849.jpg (575.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #27
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Oh there are occasionally some older flathead cars that are super quiet almost to the point of a new QuietTech Yamaha--but those have almost NO hours on them at all. They're usually in impressively factory new shape and NEVER had the speed set any higher than stock--12MPH. They're basic, golf only cars. No aftermarket anything.

But that is in contrast to the majority of the ones that roll in, from farms, from hunters, to those going hotrod on them or giving them to kids to beat on. They're often in the 1000 hour range, modified ten ways to sunday, have the usual Macgyver repair work done! I've seen one with a PIPE (literally a galvanized pipe) as a muffler.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #28
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah, mine I think has 1100 hours on it, and doesn't look to have ever been rebuilt. But it was owned by the state so appears to have been maintained pretty well until it stopped running. Everything is stock and nothing was cut up or hacked.

I love the chaae of sorting through the mystery of the macgyver work... though most people.frequently seem to.create more.problems than they fix.

But, if it weren't for the redneck rebuilds I wouldn't be able to pick them up for so cheap and I wouldnt have a hobby
Old 12-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #29
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Default 1991 Club Car Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Oh there are occasionally some older flathead cars that are super quiet almost to the point of a new QuietTech Yamaha--but those have almost NO hours on them at all. They're usually in impressively factory new shape and NEVER had the speed set any higher than stock--12MPH. They're basic, golf only cars. No aftermarket anything.

But that is in contrast to the majority of the ones that roll in, from farms, from hunters, to those going hotrod on them or giving them to kids to beat on. They're often in the 1000 hour range, modified ten ways to sunday, have the usual Macgyver repair work done! I've seen one with a PIPE (literally a galvanized pipe) as a muffler.

Your first paragraph explains my cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:28 PM   #30
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevop25 View Post
Your first paragraph explains my cart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In that case, I have seen rebuild kits on Ebay for about 150 bucks. Valves, piston, rings, all the gaskets and everything. Should fix you up nice

Mine smokes some but it sat for years. I'm waiting it out to see if it clears up before I go back into the motor and rebuild it. But, and i dont know if the DS is different (theres a ton of room to work in a carryall if you remove to bolts and take the bed off) you could rebuild the motor without removing it from the cart pretty easily. The cylinder unbolted with 6 bolts and gives you access to everything youd need.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car