lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2019, 10:08 PM   #51
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 Club Car Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevop25 View Post
Thanks for the info. How big can I go without a lift? Going to mark the rods original position and move it back just a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking 20" tires but then someone else said 19". I haven't ever personally tried either one, both my carts are lifted. Factory stock size tires are 18" diameter.

I have the governor rods completely disconnected on both my carts (the rod wasn't long enough to give me the speeds I wanted). But I'm the only one who drives my carts 97% of the time, and when someone else drives them, it's someone I trust to not hot rod, or else I'm with them.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #52
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I won't touch that governor rod with a 10 ft pole. The number of lost days and time trying to get it right after anyone monkeys with it is a nightmare.

It's much easier to just adjust the throttle cable length. NEVER mess with that governor system.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #53
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
I won't touch that governor rod with a 10 ft pole. The number of lost days and time trying to get it right after anyone monkeys with it is a nightmare.

It's much easier to just adjust the throttle cable length. NEVER mess with that governor system.

So I should adjust the cable out to give me more pedal?

Stevop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:30 AM   #54
Stevop25
Gone Wild

I agree with both of you guys about the governor. Im going to mark where it is now and move it ever so slightly. Probably stop somewhere around 12-14 mph will be good.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #55
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:

I’m curious as to what you think is so complicated about it. The rod is fixed at the carb and adjustment involves the loosening of a single screw in the governor arm pivot to make the adjustment. Setting it back to factory default is as simple as loosening the screw, pushing the rod all the way forward towards the carb and also sliding the governor arm all the way forward on the rod and re-tightening the screw.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #56
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

All i know is whenever a customer messed around with one it took an entire day or days to get it right again. It's a bit more involved than on a later model DS. Doesn't help we don't have the service manual for that old a engine anymore.

Before we eventually got it right, it either wouldn't go more than idle, or woult have WOT only, no matter the pedal position, or it'd never slow down going downhill at WOT. or it'd go all 'herky jerky' up and down up and down like it had an RPM limiter on it.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #57
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
All i know is whenever a customer messed around with one it took an entire day or days to get it right again. It's a bit more involved than on a later model DS. Doesn't help we don't have the service manual for that old a engine anymore.

Before we eventually got it right, it either wouldn't go more than idle, or woult have WOT only, no matter the pedal position, or it'd never slow down going downhill at WOT. or it'd go all 'herky jerky' up and down up and down like it had an RPM limiter on it.
Yes the 1992+ governor setup is a bit more complicated and I can see how it could be difficult to reset after someone messed it up attempting to disable it. I've modified a few of the newer governors for friends at our campground to get them more speed but I always do as little as possible and warn them not to get too careless.

The 1984-1991 governor setup is so simple...TOO simple almost. I believe that the simplicity of the older governor was it's downfall, as rowdy golfers in the 1980s and 1990s renting gas Club Cars were able to easily disable them on the course. I think that it's likely that frustrated golf course owners with garages full of blown up KF82 motors made it known to Club Car that they needed to make their speed governors harder to tamper with or else they would purchase their gas carts from someone else.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #58
Stevop25
Gone Wild

Out with the old....

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car