lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default voltage reducer direct ground?

I installed a voltage reducer on one of the 72 volt cushman haulers. I hooked the ground wire from the reducer to the battery pack negative and a ground wire from the battery pack negative to the negative bus bar in the cart. Without hooking up power to the reducer I was poking around and got a shock when my elbow was on the seat hinge and hand brushed up on a positive terminal in the pack. I started looking around and unhooked the reducer from the battery pack and I have continuity between the reducer negative wire and the frame of the cart. There is no other hooked up from the reducer to the cart. The reducer is mounted under the drivers seat in the open area where a battery would go. My question is this reducer bad? Im guessing the ground wire is grounded to the body of the reducer, but why? I have another of the same reducers here at the shop and it has no continuity between the ground and body of the reducer. I dont want to hook it up just to see out of fear of smoking the controller! Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Beaner913; 02-19-2020 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: fixed
Beaner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: voltage reducer direct ground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner913 View Post
I installed a voltage reducer on one of the 72 volt cushman haulers. I hooked the ground wire from the reducer to the battery pack negative and a ground wire from the battery pack negative to the negative bus bar in the cart. Without hooking up power to the reducer I was poking around and got a shock when my elbow was on the seat hinge and hand brushed up on a positive terminal in the pack. I started looking around and unhooked the reducer from the battery pack and I have continuity between the reducer negative wire and the frame of the cart. There is no other hooked up from the reducer to the cart. The reducer is mounted under the drivers seat in the open area where a battery would go. My question is this reducer bad? Im guessing the ground wire is grounded to the body of the reducer, but why? I have another of the same reducers here at the shop and it has no continuity between the ground and body of the reducer. I dont want to hook it up just to see out of fear of smoking the controller! Thanks for your help!
you are right, there is a ground inside through the case...and I am betting that you can not open the case, most you can't.....which to me says that reducer is TOAST!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO