lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #1
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Has anyone heard about having to put pins in the heads of the EFI motors

In order to reduce excess wear on the starter generator and stop it from draining the batteries?? Spoke with a local club car technician and apparently they had to do that to an entire fleet in order to stop the carts from draining the batteries. I’ve got two carts giving me fits about killing the batteries and everything on the surface looks good so there shouldn’t be anything doing this. Just didn’t know if it might be something along those lines or would there be a draw somewhere else causing these issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Has anyone heard about having to put pins in the heads of the EFI motors

Only thing I've heard about battery draw on the EFI carts is you're not supposed to leave the key on. Apparently leaving the Key on will keep the ECU powered and will drain the battery over a couple days.

Have no idea what putting pins in the head has to do anything with a battery draw. Sounds like bull-ohnee to me...
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:20 AM   #3
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Default Re: Has anyone heard about having to put pins in the heads of the EFI motors

I agree sounds like malarkey to me too. He told me after they did all those that about 6 months later they had the same issue out a
Of about half of them and they ended up replacing brushes in all the starter/gen’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Replacing brushes will make it charge properly again if they're stuck or not making proper contact that cold cause it to not charge correctly.
There are a dozen other things I would check and verify first.
Battery condition, make sure the battery is clean and under the battery is clean and there's no acid running down the side. Then do a voltage check with the battery fully charged and unhooked from the cart. Leave it in the cart but unhook the cables and let it sit a few days then check it again. If the voltage has dropped replace the battery, it has an internal short or bad cell.
Battery cables, any corrosion on the ends, any getting inside the cables? Make sure the outsides of the cables are clean. Dirt and moisture or battery acid on the outside of the cable can cause a stray current parasitic draw.
Cable connections at the solenoid. Again, make sure it's clean, and make sure there is no corrosion or moisture under the solenoid body.
Negative battery cable connection on the frame, clean and no corrosion. A poor negative can cause stray currents elsewhere. Have seen on many cars where interior lights and dashboard lights will stay On because of a bad ground for the body control unit. Electronics are sensitive to things like poor electrical supply, and poor grounding, so anywhere there is a ground wire or negative wire connection check BOTH ends of it and make sure its clean, no corrosion, and tight.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car