lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
tmaster2166
Not Yet Wild

Default battery discharge

I have a 2011 Club car with 6 -8volt batteries has a radio, H/L and T/L, we put all new batteries in it last year.
Brought it back to the house and did a load test on it and batteries are only showing about 66 minutes of run time.
I started looking to see if we had something that might be draining the batteries, when we have the cart in tow and remove the ground cable we get a spark. if I unhook the DC/DC converter for the radio and lights I do not get the spark. This is no matter if the switch is on or off.
Does the converter not go off with the switch?
tmaster2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: battery discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaster2166 View Post
I have a 2011 Club car with 6 -8volt batteries has a radio, H/L and T/L, we put all new batteries in it last year.
Brought it back to the house and did a load test on it and batteries are only showing about 66 minutes of run time.
I started looking to see if we had something that might be draining the batteries, when we have the cart in tow and remove the ground cable we get a spark. if I unhook the DC/DC converter for the radio and lights I do not get the spark. This is no matter if the switch is on or off.
Does the converter not go off with the switch?
It should but that all depends on how it was wired by the previous owner, plus some converters don't have a trigger wire and must be switched off on the primary side.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The converter is always drawing power, that's normal. The "switched" input to the converter basically makes it go to sleep, but it will still have a small amount of draw no matter what.

Where is the negative for your converter connected? It should go to the B- terminal at the controller. If the negative for the converter and your other accessories goes to the Pack Main Negative then the energy used by those accessories is not being accounted for by the OBC.
The OBC monitors the energy usage from the pack, but if the accessories are connected to the pack negative, that energy will not go through the OBC to be counted. This means that eventually the OBC will not fully charge the pack as it only charges what was removed, only what it can count being removed through the B- negative cable, plus a little extra to try to account for energy loss due to normal self discharge of the pack.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
tmaster2166
Not Yet Wild

The converter is a factory converter that has 2 plugs on it a 2 pin and a 3 pin with what looks like a factory adapter that goes between the factory harness and the converter which has a split for a positive and a negative which is what they wired the stereo to.
Hopefully I am explaining that good enough.
Is the continuous pull from the converter enough to do that to a new set of batteries?
Old 06-05-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
tmaster2166
Not Yet Wild

Without tearing the complete harness apart it looks like it is wired through the OBC as no extra wiring anywhere, that does not look factory.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
tmaster2166
Not Yet Wild

Well I tore the wiring apart to find the issue it appears that the previous owner or someone who worked on it to add the stereo and such added a piece of wiring in between the 3 pronged plugs on the converter and also did not use wire terminals on his splices. There was one grounding and along with removing the section of wiring I was able to get rid of the power drain.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car