lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Middle School Class Project - Club Car DS 36v to48v Conversion

My experience is very limited, but from what numerous people have stated here, running a 36v motor on a 48v cart will give you increased speed. I don't know how this relates to torque. If you end up needing more torque, you could do the motor later. Maybe set up a GoFundMe to help offset some of the costs, and reach out to vendors for any sort of sponsorship. I know this hard since it's a personal project versus a school owned project, but even a little bit will help.
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #12
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
Well that certainly puts a different perspective on it then.

The cart runs fine today as far as power management to the motor. So I guess the only thing I would be doing by changing to solid state at this moment would be preparing the cart for 48v when I do replace the batteries. Sound right?

A little twist on the question then. What's my motivation to go to 48v rather than staying at 36v and sending the motor to Plum Quick for rebuild?

I'm not trying to make a speed demon, but would like it to have the power to get over the long hills.
Going 48 with the stock 36 volt motor will increase speed and torque by 33%. If your are wanting to do it in steps, you should start with the C54 conversion. It will allow you to stay 36 for now and when you get new batteries you can make the change to 48. You will also need a charger and solenoid then.
My hats off to you for what you are doing!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Correct, a controller is needed for safe 48v operation, even on the fast acting 5 solenoid system (which is way better than the slow moving VGlide switch contacts), there would be too much heat for the resistor coils to dissipate during prolonged partial throttle operation.

If You need more speed, I think converting to 48v (with a Controller) is better than getting the bandit motor rebuild.

The way a Series motor works the Armature is designed to generate so many volts per revolution until it balances against the back EMF voltage generated by the stator windings.

If You increase the overall motor voltage, the Armature needs to spin faster in order to balance the voltage against the new higher limit.

You can also increase the speed of a Series motor by weakening the stator magnetic field, but that has the side effect of reducing the torque and can lead to a burned motor if not properly used.

So I guess the answer is if you need 48v then you also need a Controller to have a safe cart.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #14
Mooney6959
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakko47 View Post
My experience is very limited, but from what numerous people have stated here, running a 36v motor on a 48v cart will give you increased speed. I don't know how this relates to torque. If you end up needing more torque, you could do the motor later. Maybe set up a GoFundMe to help offset some of the costs, and reach out to vendors for any sort of sponsorship. I know this hard since it's a personal project versus a school owned project, but even a little bit will help.
I've been told this by quite a few people, and feel as though I'm shorting myself by not doing so.
However, you really get where I'm coming from. I have a hard time personally accepting monetary donations when the end result will be a cart that I'm keeping. However, I wouldn't turn down the idea of corporate sponsorship / donation of parts. I'm just funny about money.
I am looking into setting up a 501(c)(3) just to get the tax exemption, but don't want to get in over my head there either.
I do feel strongly that this "class" will remain in full effect till further notice. There's ALWAYS something to teach (mechanics, woodworking, plumbing, grilling,...) which they'll need once they get into the real world. If you shape their minds now, they stand a better chance of being able to think of solutions for themselves too.
(thought dump over)
Mooney6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car