lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
Wmhunter228
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car erratic speed problems

I have seen others post about a similar issue, but not the same problem that I am having 100%.

I am new when it comes to carts so I don't have a lot of info on this. I bought a lifted/stretched (6 seater) Precedent from someone and it's not given me any issues for about 4 months but I am now having a issue with it.

The cart came with a new ERIC charger, new battery's and other modifications. I don't know exactly what was/wasn't done to the cart.

The problem I am facing is with the speed. It normally runs about 20-22 mph, but lately it will randomly drop down to about 8-10 mph. Sometimes for a minute or two and sometimes for much longer. It will then randomly jump back up to normal or better speed.

So to be clear, I can have the pedal all of the way down and be going 20, then drop down to 8 mph or so and then 20 seconds later 20mph, and then 5 mins later back to 8 mph all the way back home (15 mins or so).

So far this has happened every time I have taken it out lately. But also, it always starts out full speed and drops down later.

So I have checked all of the connections that I could and have inspected the magnet and speed sensor but couldn't find any cracks or anything that looks out of place.

I cant seem to figure it out, but I still think maybe it is the speed sensor from reading other post. I think that the 8-10 mph is what I have read others refer to as "limp" mode or the factory default. I think I was getting a 10mph reading on a phone app maybe because of the bigger than factory tires?

Either way, before reading up on it more, I ordered a aftermarket speed sensor from amazon thinking it would be a cheap test to see if it fixes the problem. Then I started to wonder about the magnet that is currently installed (factory or not) and if I needed to install the only that comes with the sensor I ordered or order something else.

I then read about how the speed magnets didn't work on my cart.

So at this point, I am still looking for some input from people that know more than me since I haven't received the "test" speed sensor yet.

I am not sure 100% on the year, but the serial number is:
JE1620 - 645045
Wmhunter228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car erratic speed problems

JE is a Precedent Excel drive system
16 is model year
20 is week of production

The last 6 are the individual serial number.

Sounds like the speed sensor is going bad.

What batteries are in the cart? Have you checked to make sure the charge algorithm in the ERIC charger is correct for the batteries? Very important or they will not be charged properly and will have a very short lifespan.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
Wmhunter228
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Club Car erratic speed problems

I have not checked. I am not sure how to do that. The battery's are NAPA specialty/Golf cart battery's but that is about all I know about them. How do I check what you are talking about?
Wmhunter228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car