lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #1
glen moffatt
Not Yet Wild

Default NEWBIE Here need help 1988 ez-go

Attachment 213285

Attachment 213286

Attachment 213287

Attachment 213288So I have had this cart for 3 years and its been stored in my garage and finally put the clutch in..as well as new carb, fuel pump, battery.. I am getting spark..with the help of this forum decided to pull muffler and look at rings..have compression at 120 psi..and found rings to be good...but piston dont look good..(see photos) what would I do next pull head and change piston? spent more time to make it look good then did on engine( was purple when I got it) It does try to fire but no DICE any help would be appreciated as I have sold this cart and am already taking a bath on it. CHEERS!
glen moffatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: NEWBIE Here need help 1988 ez-go

Sorry to say, but that engine is all jacked up. Looks like water or mud in the case, piston is cracked. I’d guarantee the cylinder walls are destroyed as well. You’re gonna need to pull the motor apart completely and probably replace everything.

Judging by the looks of what you CAN see, I’d bet the needle bearings on the crankshaft to connecting rod are shot as well. If you can manage to get it to run, and with 120psi I’d bet you can as long as the crank seals Are good enough for it to suck in fuel, I’d give it about 3 minutes of run time before it grenades completely.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just to add, if it turns over, has good spark, and 120psi compression id put money on bad crank seals. Which you have to pull the engine to replace those anyway.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Not only is that piston destroyed, I think it's in backwards. That big hole in the side looks like it started out as the intake port. See if it has another hole in the other side. Doesn't matter right now, but when going back together the square port goes towards the intake.

That's also not an 88. The front cowl, and muffler are older. If the tag definitely says 88, it's from the first of the year with leftover parts.

You will need both the 88, and 85 manuals found in post #22.
https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3

Before you order this piston, or any other parts, You need to make sure the rod to crankshaft bearing is still good. They are no longer available.
https://www.ecartparts.com/piston-an...ycle-gas-80-88

This is the piston, and cylinder kit. https://www.ecartparts.com/overhaul-...ycle-gas-80-88
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:23 AM   #5
glen moffatt
Not Yet Wild

How would I know if the rod to crankshaft bearing is good..once I pull engine completely? I am a sign guy but wanted to try and work on this myself..all your help is appreciated.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You'll know. It should roll clean and smooth. No chunking. Side to side movement is ok, but you don't want any up, and down.

Now that the crankshaft is no longer available, there will have to be a little judgement call on that. You will say there might be a little movement, but not enough to scrap the engine.
You might also say that's a piece of crap, I need to find a new engine.

The rod to piston bearing is still available.

Take it apart, and show us what you have. The piston chunks may have blown out of the exhaust, or they might be in the lower end.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #7
glen moffatt
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
You'll know. It should roll clean and smooth. No chunking. Side to side movement is ok, but you don't want any up, and down.

Now that the crankshaft is no longer available, there will have to be a little judgement call on that. You will say there might be a little movement, but not enough to scrap the engine.
You might also say that's a piece of crap, I need to find a new engine.

The rod to piston bearing is still available.

Take it apart, and show us what you have. The piston chunks may have blown out of the exhaust, or they might be in the lower end.
Thanks will do appreciate the help. I am kinda fond of this cart put alot of cosmetic work into it and now my brother in law wants it for his camp..so wanna make sure its gonna be good for him.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Ouch on that piston, and yes it does appear to be in backwards. But it also looks like it ran for awhile, hmmmm.....

As far as the year, there's another tag on the engine directly under the starter/gen. Let's see what that one says, it'll look like the pics I posted. The year of the engine will be the first two numbers listed on the 'Motor No' ....

So far I see a BV18 carb and spring-less throttle cable which is pre 88 along with the muffler, but it does have oil injection like an 88. The front and rear roof brackets are later than my 85, not sure what year they changed those but it was 88 or before. Same with the front cowl......

It's a nice looking buggy, you did good on the cosmetics. Hopefully the engine is fixable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44.jpg (240.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Engine tag 85.jpg (35.9 KB, 0 views)
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #9
glen moffatt
Not Yet Wild

So i guess I went off the main plate saying 1988..and the carb and new fuel pump that I installed are for a 88 marathon.. turns out that this by the engine pic is a 1986..I cant find the plate I pulled off when I wrapped the cart and did all the cosmetic work.. but it said 88 as my other one was a 85..so my fuel pump and carb are for a 88..not that that makes a difference with this piston..LOL trying to make light of a bad situation..canadian freezing cold humor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine plate.jpg (173.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump.jpg (70.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg carb.jpg (59.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Both of your carburetors have horizontal choke shafts. They are not 88. It doesn't matter because all of the engine internals are the same.

When you take it apart, watch for shims on the piston, and on the crankshaft. Some have them, some don't.

Tags
1988, ezgo, newbie, nostart, piston
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO