lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: chargers

Here is a quote from an email that I received from Bill S. at Lester:

"Attempting to charge Lithium Ion batteries with a Lester Charger is extremely dangerous."
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvolts2 View Post
Z7 thats interesting in that another member here says that charger(according to Lester) wont work on Lithium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
Be careful on the Lithium part. I have a Lester Summit II that I will be selling as it was represented by the seller (not a site sponsor-my mistake) as compatible with Lithium. It appears that it will work for some but not all; don't make the same mistake that I did if you have Lithium-do your homework before buying for this application.

That said, the charger appears to be top quality and a great choice, and the bluetooth is cool!

Quote:
Here is a quote from an email that I received from Bill S. at Lester:

"Attempting to charge Lithium Ion batteries with a Lester Charger is extremely dangerous."
Well i stand corrected.

I know little to nothing about Lithium batteries and what charger is needed for them. I was simply repeating what the video on golfcartgarage.com stated as well as the data sheet directly from Lesters web site says about the Series 2 Charger.

https://www.golfcartgarage.com/blog/...ttery-charger/

https://lesterelectrical.com/wp-cont...EET_051820.pdf

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The devil is in the details, Lester chargers only have two profiles for "Lithium" and they are for the LiFePO4 chemistry only.

It gets confusing because in their marketing Lester say it works for Lithium batteries without qualifying that statement to the very narrow range of Lithium chemistry they support.

One of the reasons is that the LiFePO4 batteries were partially designed to replace Lead Acid chemistry and have similar charge profiles and more importantly can handle (within reason) overcharge without damage.

Z7What, I just saw your link for golfcartgarage and they are wrong, Lester supports Lithium-iron and not any Lithium-ion.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #14
Z7What
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The devil is in the details, Lester chargers only have two profiles for "Lithium" and they are for the LiFePO4 chemistry only.

It gets confusing because in their marketing Lester say it works for Lithium batteries without qualifying that statement to the very narrow range of Lithium chemistry they support.

One of the reasons is that the LiFePO4 batteries were partially designed to replace Lead Acid chemistry and have similar charge profiles and more importantly can handle (within reason) overcharge without damage.

Z7What, I just saw your link for golfcartgarage and they are wrong, Lester supports Lithium-iron and not any Lithium-ion.
I just looked again at the data sheet directly on Lesters website and it only states Lithium, it doesnt state which type. To the untrained eye that could end up being bad. Crazy they dont specify which type.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Also if you can, clear your PMs. I just tried sending you one and it wont allow me because it says its full.

Wayne
Z7What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #15
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
I just looked again at the data sheet directly on Lesters website and it only states Lithium, it doesnt state which type. To the untrained eye that could end up being bad. Crazy they dont specify which type.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Also if you can, clear your PMs. I just tried sending you one and it wont allow me because it says its full.

Wayne
Golf Cart Garage is who I bought my Lester from and even though they assured me it would work they will now not take it back. Lesson learned, and only buy from site sponsors is my suggestion.

Sergio does not use his PM box.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #16
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
never heard of LiFe batteries.
will this become a replacement for FLA batteries?
or is the current draw to low?
sounds like a panacea of batteries for golf carts.
lighter, cycles better and lasts long

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (43.2 KB, 0 views)
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #17
offgridcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
I have a Lester Summit II that I will be selling
Is this charger still available? 650 watt or 1050 watt? I am still trying to understand the cord options to get to a Yamaha 2-pin Napson. What cord setup do you have? Does it have an Anderson SB-50 built into the charger or on the cord?

Application is Crown-190 FLA batteries, 48v. Our charger is a Yamaha/Mac 4817 and it is not powerful enough for this application.

I am trying to do additional research to look at Lester Summit II factory charge profiles as in amps vs volts over time, whether the charger has built-in temperature compensation, and whether those profiles can be changed via bluetooth.

Interesting that golfCarts Unimited says no lithium on the 650 watt applications and some lithium on the 1050 watt model.
offgridcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

I posted it in the for sale section last night :) It is the 650 watt charger. I can take pictures and PM them to you if the ones in the for sale section don't answer your questions

Here's a link to the post: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=172134
Old 12-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #19
offgridcart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
It is the 650 watt charger.
Thanks for the reply and I hope you are able to sell it. I need the higher amperage for these 190 AmpHr batteries.
offgridcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #20
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridcart View Post
Thanks for the reply and I hope you are able to sell it. I need the higher amperage for these 190 AmpHr batteries.
Understood; Merry Christmas!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car