lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2021, 12:00 AM   #31
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Aircraft mechanic ain’t got what it takes to be a golf cart mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubfed67 View Post
Got one on the way. Be here Saturday. Thx again.
Keep us updated. Glad you got one. You won't regret it. Just remember when testing to leave one spark plug in cylinder with wire on it and the tester to other wire. Good luck.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #32
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Aircraft mechanic ain’t got what it takes to be a golf cart mechanic.

I found the long lost video I had made a while back today. It might help someone.

I just lift the white ( - ) and red (+) coil wires up slightly off terminals and stick a test light to them and spin it over.

Even though I had the white wire here connected to the + side of coil it still runs. The proper way is just put the red wire to + so disregard my movie making skills .

Both lights on the test light flash but you can see one plainly flashes more than the other. Never said this was a proper test but one I always used to see what was up if I had a test light handy. .

If you see this on your 1992 to 2003 ezgo with pre mci engine then it should be firing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tHxrYLEvU

Also as a reminder to the many who pass on is this when testing. See picture I included.

The reason I suggest the spark plug tester.

As of today there are no new OEM ignitors to be found so don't make that mistake or you may be stuck with an aftermarket. They are on back order and no telling when they will show up. At least thats what three ezgo dealers told me today. The other option is try and find a good used OEM. One ezgo dealer told me today they now only supply the aftermarket one.

I did locate a few new pre mci OEM pulser coils but they are gold. With shipping they would cost close to $200. The OEM ignitors were available at one dealer I buy from for $220 a few weeks ago but they were all bought up. I hope they will get them back but who knows.

The OEM pre mci coils are also gone. The MCI one will work with harness adapter . They are also gold.

One more video of what that spark tester I suggested will look like if you got fire. If it will do this then you are good with spark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ereQzuUNpHU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spark tip ezgo.jpg (119.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 09:08 PM   #33
Clubfed67
Not Yet Wild

Same story different day. Replaced battery terminals. Redid all the grounds. Removed the ground strap from the starter to the plastic fan cover and grounded it to the engine. Borrowed a buddy of mines Fluke Meter. Measured pulser coil with it while turning engine over and get .075 Volts AC which is nowhere near specs of 1/2 volt. Ohms out at 18.9. Got my new spark tester in, installed it at each plug while leaving the opposite one in. No spark on either on. Put test light on white wire to ignition coil get steady light. Red wire get nothing. Don’t know where else to turn. Kinda hesitant about throwing Chinese parts at it. Dealer says EZGO doesn’t make pulser coils anymore so what’s a persons options. Take your chances on the imports. Thanks to all who have given me advice it is greatly appreciated. This is an awesome forum with great and knowledgeable people.
Clubfed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #34
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Same story different day. Replaced battery terminals. Redid all the grounds. Removed the ground strap from the starter to the plastic fan cover and grounded it to the engine. Borrowed a buddy of mines Fluke Meter. Measured pulser coil with it while turning engine over and get .075 Volts AC which is nowhere near specs of 1/2 volt. Ohms out at 18.9. Got my new spark tester in, installed it at each plug while leaving the opposite one in. No spark on either on. Put test light on white wire to ignition coil get steady light. Red wire get nothing. Don’t know where else to turn. Kinda hesitant about throwing Chinese parts at it. Dealer says EZGO doesn’t make pulser coils anymore so what’s a persons options. Take your chances on the imports. Thanks to all who have given me advice it is greatly appreciated. This is an awesome forum with great and knowledgeable people.
Red wire has to light that test light when you spin it over.

There is a dealer who has the OEM pulser. I talked to them yesterday. They have 9 in stock . He also told me they have no OEM ignitors and that they now have to use the aftermarket ones. It does seem your pulser is out of range.

Don't order anything just yet.
Did your coil Ohm ok ? You probably did but I may have missed it.

Check the orange and white wire coming from ignitor to make sure it is connected good at solenoid. It should have the push on connector. Check the black wire coming from ignitor to make sure it is grounded good.

I will get back with you. It may be tomorrow but I will post back.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 PM   #35
Clubfed67
Not Yet Wild

Coil ohms at 3.3 ohms on the Primary side which is a little low per specs and 15.5 ohms which is within tolerance.

I took the ignitor off and put it back in just to verify everything was connected good.

I don’t have a problem paying for a OEM pulser coil but I hate to buy it and that not fix the problem and be stuck with it.

Thx again.
Clubfed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #36
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Coil ohms at 3.3 ohms on the Primary side which is a little low per specs and 15.5 ohms which is within tolerance.

I took the ignitor off and put it back in just to verify everything was connected good.

I don’t have a problem paying for a OEM pulser coil but I hate to buy it and that not fix the problem and be stuck with it.

Thx again.
I sent you a PM with my contact information. I might have what you need. I will have to look tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:54 PM   #37
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

I can update this for Clubfed67. I was able to loan him an OEM ignitor and it fixed the problem.

I had him check the charging and it was indeed overcharging and I got him to buy an OEM regulator .

His cart is now running and volts are 14.5 with no more high charging.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #38
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig123 View Post
I can update this for Clubfed67. I was able to loan him an OEM ignitor and it fixed the problem.

I had him check the charging and it was indeed overcharging and I got him to buy an OEM regulator .

His cart is now running and volts are 14.5 with no more high charging.
You da man Tommy!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO