lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default can I recover 2 6 volt batteries with a 12 volt smart charger?

someone borrowed my scissor lift with 4 brand new 6 volt batteries and never plugged the charger in, they plugged in the platform power instead.

anyway I have a smart charger that has recovered 12 volt batteries before from stone dead so can I leave 2 battiers in series to try and recover them? they have less than 12 hours on them total and I really don't want to shell out another 700 bucks
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Re: can I recover 2 6 volt batteries with a 12 volt smart charger?

Sure won't hurt to try. I have frequently charged 2 of my 6 volt batteries with a 12 volt charger when they dropped lower than the rest of the pack. My charger has a manual setting and will put a charge into batteries that are completely dead. Yours might be somewhat damaged, but they should charge up and still be usable for years. Good luck!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #3
JBERGER
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I've used a switchable 6v/12v battery charger to recover 6v batteries before, actually have 2 of them but found that the cheaper model actually does a better job recovering them from DEAD than the more expensive model.

The cheap one just puts out very low amperage with no cut off, so it will charge "forever" if you let it, and that seems to be the key to bringing them back from the dead.

I had no luck trying to revive them while they are connected as 12v. I charge them each separately until the register enough voltage to register at the bottom end of the battery chart (like 10-20% SoC) then move over to a larger amperage charger to bring them up to full.

It usually takes a week or more to get them back to a working state, but it's saved us a couple of times when we did something stupid and left them connected.
JBERGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:21 AM   #4
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks it's odyssey battery charger that I want to make sure I don't damage
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Yes you can do it that way.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #6
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I have used my 12V Noco Genius G7200 smart charger in both charge mode and repair mode with 2 x 6V golf cart batteries connected in series on a number of occasions.

I don't think you have to worry about the charger ... that's why they call them "smart". But it might not be smart enough to start charging them from totally dead ... unless it is one of the new "super smart chargers" ... they can do that. You might have to start them off to a get a bit of voltage into them using an old fashioned 6 or 12 V charger and then put the "smart" charger on them.

If the batteries are new and they have not been left at zero charge for considerable amount of time (i.e. more than a month is my SWAG), then I believe that you stand a pretty good chance to recover them. Once you get them fully charged, run them through a repair cycle (or two or three) if your smart charger offers that feature, in an attempt desulfate them further.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO