lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2021, 07:32 PM   #1
Kenwood
Not Yet Wild

Default 2016 ezgo rxv parasitic loss help

Hello all. I have a 2016 ergo gas rxv which developed an issue at the end of the season that I need to address.

Cart Aftermarket items of note> has a street legal led light/signal kit with horn, signal mirrors, and a marine radio and speakers.

Why is happening is when I shut cart down my rear brake leds remain on but are very dimly lit ( barely visible unless dark) both side equal. None of the other lights or flashers etc remain on in any way. If I pull positive fuse to light kit they go out immediately, and upon reinstalling power fuse they dimly light. When cart is running they turn on bright (running lights) with switch, and shine brighter with brake applied meaning they function normal outside of this issue. I unhooked completely the marine radio to eliminate any potential of head unit back feeding system. This made no change. Only way to stop is to disconnect fuse as stated on light kit harness, or I noticed removing the 2 pin flasher relay also causes them to go out. I notice when I install fuse back I get a clicking relay sound by the brake pedal, but I don’t recall if that was how it worked before I had the issue. Perhaps a leaking brake switch? I’m just struggling with what could be proving just a slight amount of voltage to only the brake lights.

Any suggestions before ripping everything apart to get to wiring?
Kenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2021, 11:28 PM   #2
mccainc
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2016 ezgo rxv parasitic loss help

Based on what you said the brake switch seems suspect. Perhaps you could remove that switch from the circuit and see if the problem still exists. Is the light kit wired so that all the lights work regardless if the key is on or off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mccainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I recently had a similar issue with front day running lamps and it was the switch got damp. Dried it out and its been fine since then.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:06 AM   #4
Kenwood
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccainc View Post
Based on what you said the brake switch seems suspect. Perhaps you could remove that switch from the circuit and see if the problem still exists. Is the light kit wired so that all the lights work regardless if the key is on or off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes the light switch will turn lights on regardless of keyswitch position. I will check brake switch next. I will say that brake applied or not applied when everything is shut off does not change the brightness. Meaning whatever is feeding it when system is off is a constant.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #5
Kenwood
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I recently had a similar issue with front day running lamps and it was the switch got damp. Dried it out and its been fine since then.
I can try that as well. Just odd even in your case that only marker lights did this. The only aftermarket keyed item I have set up is a radio which i removed from the system to ensure it wasn’t back feeding the system.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I saw a post here the other day with this same problem and it was the turn signal switch assembly.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #7
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Some light kits have a simple on/off switch for the brake light, only when your foot is actively on the pedal. Others use a switch triggered by the pedal bracket that is engaged any time the pedal is down -no matter if it's foot pressure or parking brake. Those systems ad a timer to the brake light circuit that is supposed to shut down the lights after 45 or so seconds. The idea being to prevent the brake lights from killing the battery when you park it with the brake on. Those timers can & do go bad. It also provides other spots for corrosion in wiring connectors to cause problems.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
Kenwood
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I saw a post here the other day with this same problem and it was the turn signal switch assembly.
Interestingly enough I contacted the dealer I bought the cart from and they said they have seen the issue when moisture gets into the turn signal assembly as well. They said attempt to dry it and if not it will need replaced. Given the issue cropped up last year and cart was stored in covered and dry garage all winter I’m likely just going to replace with a new one.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:25 AM   #9
Kenwood
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Some light kits have a simple on/off switch for the brake light, only when your foot is actively on the pedal. Others use a switch triggered by the pedal bracket that is engaged any time the pedal is down -no matter if it's foot pressure or parking brake. Those systems ad a timer to the brake light circuit that is supposed to shut down the lights after 45 or so seconds. The idea being to prevent the brake lights from killing the battery when you park it with the brake on. Those timers can & do go bad. It also provides other spots for corrosion in wiring connectors to cause problems.
So in that instance where would timer typically be? Mine works like timer type, is timer down in footwell or typically further up In harness? Either way it sounds like I’m tearing things down and redoing everything.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #10
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sometimes the timer is by the fuses, around the battery connections, sometimes under the floor near the brake switch.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO