lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2021, 07:57 PM   #1
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RoyPow Battery Installed - What Now? First Time For This Cart

Got tired of waiting for the battery I ordered from Extreme Team so I cancelled the order and went to Tomball Golf Carts in Tomball, TX and picked up a RoyPow S51105 battery and charger. Battery and charger are mounted, battery is on charge. Finished the cables to the battery B+ and B-. but battery is not connected to the cart. I have to connect the voltage reducer to the battery tomorrow and install the SOC meter.

I'm excited!

Is there anything Y'all can tell me about a careful way to turn this cart on? I plan on placing cart rear wheels on jackstands and chock the thing before I do anything. I'm also going to check the Alltrax program to make certain it is how I left it. I limited the upper end of the controller so that hopefully nothing will "go wild".

Is there anything wrong with spinning the rear wheels on jackstands?

Are there any checks I should make with my MM before I press the fun pedal?

I would appreciate some direction. I don't want to damage anything.
truetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
superfan86
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: RoyPow Battery Installed - What Now? First Time For This Cart

Lithium batteries are no different from lead acid from a functionality standpoint.

The RoyPow unit has a power button, so turn it on and you are ready to go. The unit is actually quite smart and idiot-proofed. I managed to reverse my pos/neg cables during install and the BMS reversed the polarity and charged the cart no problem. I didn't realize the issue until the cart wouldn't go!

Regarding Alltrax: The peak output on the RoyPow pack is 250 amps, so make sure you adjust to your setting appropriately to prevent cutout.

To maximize battery life, keep the SOC between 20%-80% as much as possible. These don't need to be charged to 100% constantly, can be safely run all the way to 0% and you get full power during the entire charge.

Have fun. Our S38105 pack gives us about 40 miles of range between charges and acceleration will blow your mind. Steering is much more nimble with all the weight savings. It is a big expense, but has been well worth it for our family.
superfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

As Superfan said, these are hooked up same as FLA batteries. Hook pos & Neg up, turn on battery and away you go. One thing he said is the charging, you don't have to worry about the 20% to 80%,. The built in BMS handles that. When you do a full charge, it shows full bars, but is at actually 80%. Be aware, when you get down to 2 bars and it gives a few warning beeps, you better head back to charger because it will shut down (to protect battery) shortly (about 1/2 mile) after it hits the single bar. You are going to love this pack, congratulations. Best thing I have done for my cart (so far).
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
sowilliams
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Not trying to steel the thread but since you are talking about Roypow i will have to bring up a problem i have asked about before. I have the Roypow 105 ah system. since installing, sometime i get in and slowly press the pedal and slowly move ahead. Other times you just touch the pedal and as soon as the solenoid engages it does a wheel stand. Bucks like a wild bronco. Any ideas?
sowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:26 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetex View Post
Is there anything wrong with spinning the rear wheels on jackstands?

Are there any checks I should make with my MM before I press the fun pedal?
NO....just do NOT go full out, you can easily overspeed the motor to the point of having it come apart with no load on it.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:32 AM   #6
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilliams View Post
Not trying to steel the thread but since you are talking about Roypow i will have to bring up a problem i have asked about before. I have the Roypow 105 ah system. since installing, sometime i get in and slowly press the pedal and slowly move ahead. Other times you just touch the pedal and as soon as the solenoid engages it does a wheel stand. Bucks like a wild bronco. Any ideas?
I don't think this is a Roypow issue...I would start a new thread, list cart make model and you will get responses that will give you better idea.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
NO....just do NOT go full out, you can easily overspeed the motor to the point of having it come apart with no load on it.
Thanks. I figured something could go wrong. That is why I removed the big wheels and tires to reduce mass and turned the Alltrax parameters way down until I verified motor rotation in forward and reverse. The first two test drives were at reduced Alltrax output as well just to make certain all is well.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:31 PM   #8
truetex
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowilliams View Post
I have not experienced this issue.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:26 PM   #9
sailfishgolfer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just finished mine about 2 weeks ago. 36V...Love it! see my thread for pics etc.
sailfishgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO