lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
rqf4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Bad controller or TPS?

Need help troubleshooting my "cart won't go" problem. It's a 2008 G29. I'm not getting a solenoid click when key is turned on or throttle applied.

I have traced it back to the ground wire to the solenoid not getting activated. Which I think narrows it down to a bad throttle position sensor, or the stock controller. The battery bank (of ~4yo 12v trojans) is charged to 52.7v. I'm not getting a solenoid click when key is turned on or throttle applied.

Things I've tested:
The solenoid tested good when manually applying ground.
Stop switch is good.
Key switch tested good.
Tow/Run switch is good.
3amp fuse is good.
Using multiple throttle position switches (more below).

First question; with a bad TPS, or even no TPS at all, should the solenoid still click when the key is turned on?

Second question (maybe should be its own thread); are all these TPS's bad?! I saw in the "Yamaha g29 2008 electric" thread where @camaroluvz28 gave instructions on how to test the TPS, which jive with other things I've read. However, I have now bought 4 (four!) new sensors, and none of them test that way. All were bought from Amazon, but different vendors and part numbers. Here are my test results:
Original TPS: Black-Blue=23k & Black-Orange=31k
First TPS (sold for EZGO RXV): Black-Blue=16k & Black-Orange=17k
Second TPS: Black-Blue=27k & Black-Orange=OL
Third TPS: Black-Blue=OL & Black-Orange=OL
Fourth TPS: Black-Blue=258k & Black-Orange=OL

Another very interesting thing of those tests, none of the switches change resistance when I actuate the switch, including the original. Also, all the new ones are spring loaded but my original is not (maybe the spring broke?). I uploaded this video to show my test method, to make sure I'm doing it right. Could I really have this many bad TPS's!? Or is there something else going on?

And final question; it may be too early to ask but, from this info can anyone say for sure if I have a bad controller or TPS switch?

Thanks a lot guys! First post here and happy to have found the forum, I have learned a lot from it over the past year since buying my cart!
rqf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2021, 06:00 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Bad controller or TPS?

I've recently had a 2007 ydre model (not running). There was the click from solenoid when the pedal was pushed only, even with a brand new Alltrax controller. I'm not sure with measuring the tps sensor, but it's a 0 - 5v throttle type, not a resistance Type!? Can't beleive, so many bad sensors were sold
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, here's the throttle position sensor test from the Yamaha Service Manual to compare it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot at 2021-10-31 13-28-36.jpg (116.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You didn't mention, if the reverse buzzer is working in R?
Old 10-31-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
rqf4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks @ojo! Yep, that's the way I'm testing... And it appears all my sensors are bad!

Good question, sorry I forgot to mention... I don't have a buzzer but tested for voltage to the wires with cart on and in run mode... No voltage to the reverse buzzer.
rqf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:29 AM   #6
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Indeed, that points to a bad controller... i'd recommend the Alltrax, it's a direct fit aftermarket part with more power and realtime monitoring for easy troubleshooting ( Laptop required ).
Old 11-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Your controller died. We always want it to be the cheap TPS but it wouldn't cause the failure that you described plus the TPS is pretty reliable.

There are two things to check
Is the backup buzzer working?
Does the pedal come all of the way back and activate the pedal switch? Sometime a pencil falls down in there and stops the pedal from hitting the switch.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller, g29, tps
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha