lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Replacement headlight bulbs

I have halogen headlights in my cart and although I don't drive much in the dark, these are not at all safe to drive in the dark if I need to. They light about 15' in front of the cart and very dimly. If I adjust them up, I can't see anything in front of me on the road.

Can the #881 halogen bulbs be replaced with #881 led bulbs? The base looks identical and the led's are actually a couple $ cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31377510496...wAAOSwHxNhpu1j
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Replacement headlight bulbs

As long as they fit in the holder then go for it.
If it’s a factory style headlight with the plastic lens use some plastic polish to clean it up really well. If the plastic is foggy or discolored you won’t get light out of it no matter what bulb you use.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #3
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
As long as they fit in the holder then go for it.
If it’s a factory style headlight with the plastic lens use some plastic polish to clean it up really well. If the plastic is foggy or discolored you won’t get light out of it no matter what bulb you use.
Thanks Fairtax.

The lenses are good and clear. The halogens are just a very yellow light compared to the LED. I think I'll give it a shot. I will update this thread if they work.

I ordered LED bulbs but changed to a different one. The first listed are for fog lights only. This one is for headlights.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324874236720

Last edited by Tom47; 12-04-2021 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: New bulb
Old 12-04-2021, 12:39 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If they’re the aftermarket style, the light housing should be just held in with a Philips screw on either side. You can remove the original light housing and replace with cheap LED pod lights. I did that on an ezgo I had a couple years ago and was very happy with the results. Sooooo much brighter than the halogens.

On my ezgo the bulb was integral to the light and the light housings were like $40 each!!! I think I paid around $15 for these pods and they were way brighter than the original lights that I blew up hooking them to the wrong battery terminals. As it turns out, 12v halogen lights will shine VERY bright for about 6.5 milliseconds and then never turn on again
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CBE33BAA-FA5B-4FDB-8F5C-1B929C729A6F.jpeg (1.15 MB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I tried this on my Yamaha and the LED's were far from the focal point of the plastic reflector so they did not produce a usable beam. Your mileage may vary. Make sure that the LED's are in the same place as the Halogen filament or they won't really work very well. I ended up replacing the whole headlight assembly with one made with LED's and now I have nice bright headlights.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #6
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

My housings are solid with a snap in halogen bulb so I don't think CP241's suggestion will work. When I installed the first light kit 4 years ago it had LED headlight and taillight pod lights. The headlights began losing leds until it was unusable. I got halogen replacements at that time. The led tail lights are still going strong.

I hope these at least give more usable light than the halogen's. They are supposed to be here by Dec. 11th. Wow, 8 days USPS from Kentucky to Georgia. How do they do it?
Old 12-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #7
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I tried this on my Yamaha and the LED's were far from the focal point of the plastic reflector so they did not produce a usable beam. Your mileage may vary. Make sure that the LED's are in the same place as the Halogen filament or they won't really work very well. I ended up replacing the whole headlight assembly with one made with LED's and now I have nice bright headlights.
The bulbs look like they are the same length as the halogens so maybe they will work. We'll see.

Do you have a link for the headlight assemblies in case these don't work? There are so many options available now. I don't want to waste any more money than I have already!
Old 12-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The headlight assemblies I got only fit a Yamaha G29 cart. They are still available on Ebay - I may buy another set for my second cart. They have six LED's arranged in the reflector and they are much more useful for night driving. The halogens that were on my cart were almost useless.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
The headlight assemblies I got only fit a Yamaha G29 cart. They are still available on Ebay - I may buy another set for my second cart. They have six LED's arranged in the reflector and they are much more useful for night driving. The halogens that were on my cart were almost useless.
Ok, thanks V_A. I'll see how these bulbs do for me.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Like V_A said the problem with replacing a halogen plugin light with a LED is the focal spot placement. The LED isn't going to work any better. The only solution is to replace your light assembly with one like I have attached to this post. Ok I know what you're saying, I don't want to buy the entire kit just to get two lights. I was in the same situation and I looked all over the internet to find somebody that would just sell you the lights w/o all of the other stuff that you don't need. Well, I finally found the answer. The answer is David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars. He can get you just the standalone lights. They are not listed on his web site so you need to call him and tell him exactly what you need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61uit3OiYbL._AC_SL1200_.jpg (74.0 KB, 0 views)
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car