lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
rmartin13
Not Yet Wild

Default Trojan battery burning smell

New to this forum. Love all the informative posts. I just purchased a 2018 EZGO TXT Fleet 48V with Trojan batteries. I drove the family around the neighborhood once and started noticing an electrical burning smell. I parked the cart and plugged in the charger for a couple of days. Today we tried to go for a drive. The LED charge light was solid green indicating a full charge, but the cart would not even pull up the driveway from the basement. I found the wire on 1 of the batteries was burnt into the battery housing (see attached pics). Does this appear to be a battery issue or a wiring issue? Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211225_164249.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211225_164256.jpg (212.1 KB, 0 views)
rmartin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
FatBusting
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Trojan battery burning smell

I'd drive it for 10 minutes, then test the voltage of each of the individual batteries. (no need to touch the cables)

The one cart I smelt that in had one very bad cell. I was installing an LED light bar using two 6v batteries to make 12v and as I drove the bad cell would turn the light off. When I opened the battery compartment to test it, it smelled like rotten eggs (sulphur)

Also check the water level and top off with distilled water as needed.
FatBusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

That is a severely melted / damaged terminal due to a bad connection at the battery. That battery will probably have to be replaced. You can see that the lead terminal is cracked. I doubt that it can be repaired - there are some repairs available that require drilling into the post and installing a stud.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
rmartin13
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info. I just bought the cart from a local dealer who has a good reputation in the local community. He gave a 1-year warranty with the purchase. Hopefully, he will make good on a battery replacement.
rmartin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO