lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2022, 09:36 PM   #1
Lainiest
Not Yet Wild

Default headlights quit working 99 DS

I helped a friend put new batteries in her 48V 1999 DS. The headlights turned on for a second, then popped, and now they no longer work. There was water inside the light housing. I changed the bulbs because they were blown. The fuse between the switch and the lights looks fine. The rocker switch no longer lights up.

Could this be more than just a rocker switch issue? The electrical components under the seat are so filthy that it is difficult to see what is what. I own a newer precedent and these carts are not alike.

The DS has no tow-run switch, is that normal? Should I attempts to clean the electrical components under the seat?

Thanks in advance!
Lainiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2022, 10:12 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: headlights quit working 99 DS

Most likely you wired them wrong and the bulbs are all getting way too much voltage which will fry them instantly. Normally, they run them across two batteries with a 16V to 12V reducer if you have 8V batteries. Measure the voltage at the bulb sockets.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:29 AM   #3
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

I second that if you turned them on and they popped that usually happens from over voltage. Always Always take a picture of the wires on your cart before you start it will save you lots of time.
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

For carts running off of two batteries, it's easy to put the light power wire on the wrong terminal when you install new batteries. This can put too much voltage to the lights and this will instantly blow all of the bulbs. I hate this setup and I recommend going with a 48V to 12V reducer!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:41 AM   #5
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Volt_Ampere I totally agree with you I deal with this fixing golf carts at the campground all the time but no one wants to listen. I tend to use just 1 8 volt battery it lights up dim but it wont burn the lights up. I have seen people use there lights all the time and wreck the batteries they have the lights hooked to. so much better to go to a 48v to 12v reducer.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
Lainiest
Not Yet Wild

To install the reducer..... is that the same as a step-down transformer?

I will heed your advice and install one, but first I want to confirm that I would be hooking the reducer to the main negative and main positive terminals.

Thank you for helping!
Lainiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #7
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

yes that is correct 48v in 12v out.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #8
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

I've had my lights hooked up on 2 batteries for ten years without a problem
I will say that I rarely use my lights, if you use them often go with the reducer
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, dirty electric components, lights
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car