lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
Sishman
Not Yet Wild

Default Alltrax Controller or Bandit, better upgrade?

Starting on my 08’ DS and was thinking of doing either a Alltrax controller/cable solenoid upgrade with the stock motor OR a PQ Bandit motor. Goal is 20 mph and as much torque as I can get, no need for more than 20mph. Also will be putting on 22 in tires likely.
Sishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax Controller or Bandit, better upgrade?

Do you have the gray or black stock motor? I have the same cart as you, 2008 DS with gray GE motor, stock controller and I have lithium batteries.

I’d do a controller and cables. Do a motor later. Torque for hills and such comes from amperage, and the controller is what limits amperage. https://www.revolutiongolfcars.com/p...alltrax-xct400

If you have the gray GE motor, you will want to turn the alltrax down until you can upgrade the motor, everywhere I’ve read says the gray GE motor won’t take more than 300 amps. But a bigger controller now allows more upgrade in the future. And I’ve noticed on my cart I have never seen more than 150 amps draw.

From experience, stock controller with a plum quick bandit does have a little more torque but it’s not a night and day kind of difference. Bandit is designed more for speed than torque and is advertised as such. I gained about 3-4mph with bandit motor and everything else stock (except lithium batteries) and a little torque but it wasn’t huge. I gained more torque switching to lithium batteries than I did switching to a bandit.

You’d want a motor designed for torque over a bandit (D&D makes a good one that’s not horribly expensive. Admiral makes a nice one for a bit more $) but do be aware the stock controller will limit what the motor is capable of doing until it gets upgraded as well.

This is just my experiences with it anyway, hope it helps.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If your 08 DS is IQ drive the 400 Alltrax will increase power by 25-30% and net speeds of 22-23mph. Use the XCT400 control and a HD SW180 solenoid combo with the stock cable set for the above results.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
Sishman
Not Yet Wild

I have the gray GE motor, like you mention. This is sounding like a great option. Question on the controller sizes. Since I don’t know what I’ll do with the cart in the future. One thought was maybe pulling a small jet ski trailer a couple hundred yards to the local ramp…should I go with a larger controller and de-tune the amp flow until that day comes if I ever do a higher torque motor to do the towing? Do the controllers even allow for that? If so what is a good size for all that, I’d rather buy once than progressively upsize parts. Thanks again!!
Old 06-04-2022, 01:44 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I guarranty somebody is going to come in and say to get the biggest controller you can for the best results or future upgrades but, I can prove that is not necessary.

When Alltrax presented the current SR and XCT controls they told their dealers that the output was so high that a 400 amp control was equal to or better than the average 500 amp control for both peak moments and over durations commonly used to classify controllers.

I have reviewed many monitor files and I can tell you the amperage draw recorded is nowhere near the controllers capacity in any of the carts I've seen.

Now here comes lithium with some serious amperage draw limits. A good GC lithium battery will allow a 300 amp peak momentary draw and about 200 for longer durations. What does that mean?
That means the controller has to be limited to protect the battery. ( to answer your question - yes Alltrax controls can be limited to any amperage to protect motors and batteries)
So we have big tires, 500 amp control etc, and a 14hp motor and now the controller is limited to 300 amps. What happens?
In my experience from the drivers seat I can't tell any difference in the performance because todays electronics are more efficient. You can run a 14 hp long stack high torque motor with big tires while staying under a 300 amp limit. I have the cart, the terrain, and the files to prove it.

Go easy on your wallet. Choose the 400/200 combo. Throw a fan kit on if you are worried about heat. The 400/400 is sales gimmick. The 200 solenoid has magnetic breakout and a peak capacity of 800 amps. The 400 requires big cable lugs. This solenoid is only suggested for 500 amp and up controls.
I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:14 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

what he said

A 400 amp controller will run any motor you want in the future just fine. And yes you can use the alltrax tool kit software on a pc laptop and detune it to 300 amps for the stock GE motor until that day comes.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #7
Sishman
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for the detailed information, this makes the decision easy.

scottyb, I’d like to order from you. I’ll be PM’ing you to make sure I have all the right selections before I place the order. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2022, 11:17 PM   #8
Sishman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sishman View Post
scottyb, I’d like to order from you. I’ll be PM’ing you to make sure I have all the right selections before I place the order. Thanks again!
EDIT: scottyb, doesn’t look like I have an option to PM you, so I emailed you at the address on your webpage.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car