lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2022, 03:47 AM   #1
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Trojan RXV battery question

Does anyone know how deep the lead posts are in the Trojan batteries? We have one that the post broke off and I'm deciding how to repair it. The batteries are two years old so I'd hate to have to replace one.

Option one is to drill the lead with a 1/4" bit and thread in a new stainless 5/16" post. That will be the easiest but I've never dissected a Trojan and I'm not sure how deep the lead is.

Option two is to melt some lead and form a new post around a new stainless stud.

Any thoughts or possibly a better repair option ? Here's a picture of the broken post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220623-044615_Gallery.jpg (94.6 KB, 0 views)
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2022, 04:26 AM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trojan RXV battery question

I don't know the depth of the leaded portion you're looking at boring, but I do know that 3/4 inch will work fine. I bored out a 1/4 inch hole and put in a coarse thread 5/16th inch self tapping bolt 3/4 inch long. The bolt that I used was a frame bolt from a riding lawn mower, pointed on the end so it taps into lead well. Tightened up good and outlasted the battery.
Lead cuts quick and easy so go slow and don't bore all the way through to acid. I marked the end of the bit at 3/4 depth with masking tape to gauge the depth of my cut.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 03:22 PM   #3
wingnut2000
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

google golf cart battery post repair and you should see a write up on a repair someone has up and its actually on a trojan. Use a type f drill bit then use a 5/16"-18 tap and you screw the new post/stud in the hole and it will work for a little while. I had to do several on my rxv because i was making them last until i finally got my lithium battery.
wingnut2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
SBIRD!
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did several of mine when I had T1250's. Started with drill and tap but found the stainless 5/16 anchor lugs from Home Depot easier, wood thread on one end nut thread on the other. As stated above 3/4" into the high spot.
There's a thread here somewhere about blowing up batteries when melting replacement bolts in, wear your EOD outfit.
SBIRD! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:01 PM   #5
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm not a fan of super hot metal and hydrogen gas playing together. I'm going to drill it and screw in the anchor. I'll post some pictures tomorrow evening of the results. Thanks for the advise everyone.
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO