lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2023, 11:36 PM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default fuel coming out of vent hole

I have installed two new carburetors on a 1983 G1. The first new carb leaked right away from what I thought was the float bowl. It was a cheap Chinese carb so I just figured it had a bad seal. I replaced it with a slightly better new carb. The cart started up just fine. At first inspection, I did not see any fuel leakage. The cart was surging a bit so I played around with the mixture screw ultimately flooding the carb. I removed the spark plug and had a good amount of smoke /steam flowing out of the hole. That was yesterday. Today I wanted to try again adjusting the carb. I started with the 1 1/2 turns from slightly seated. pressed the accelerator and the cart fired right up. After running for maybe a minute I noticed fuel running down from the carb. I checked the float bowl which was dry, I then noticed the fuel coming out of the vent hose !! So now I'm wondering if that was the issue with the first carb?? Maybe it wasn't a bad seal at the float bowl? So why are these carbs overflowing with fuel?? They both cant have defective floats? Something else is causing too much fuel to enter the carb. It's a new fuel pump so I doubt that's defective, could it have something to do with the rubber boot? reeds??? Adjusting the carb does nothing. What is causing fuel to literally pour out of the carb vent hose on two brand-new carbs?? and could this have something to do with the smoke coming out of the spark plug hole yesterday????? I am stumped!!!
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2023, 01:39 AM   #2
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: fuel coming out of vent hole

It's gotta be the fuel line !!! It looks like there was a 7/32 id hose originally and I put on a 1/4. Does that make sense????
Old 02-23-2023, 01:53 AM   #3
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Nope!!! It wasn't the hose size. I just swapped it out with a smaller fuel line and no difference. Still have fuel spitting out of the vent hose. Guess I have no choice but to pull off the carb again. I can't believe two new carbs are having stuck floats. What's the chance the new fuel pump is over-pumping???? This is baffling! Guess ill call it quits for tonight and see if anyone responds with possible suggestions.
Old 02-23-2023, 03:53 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

On the assumption you are using a vacuum fuel pump and not electric, plus you are probably buying Chinese carbs, my money is on the carbs being rubbish. If you have the original OEM carb, service it and refit it.
You have not given a reason why you changed the carb in the first place.

You may have some luck with one of the Chinese carbs, If you do a simple test. remove the float bowl turn the carb upside down and with a short piece of hose, blow gently into the fuel inlet port with your finger just resting on the float. do not push it down. If you can blow through the needle valve, then this is your problem. If you cannot blow through, then the valve is sealing fine and there may be a problem with the float itself sinking into the fuel bowl or jamming the valve open.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:30 AM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I just turn them upside down and don’t touch the float. You should be able to blow as hard as you can and not have any air leak through. Then turn it right side up and blow freely. I’ll always turn it back and forth and do it a few times to make sure as well, sometimes it will seat “sometimes but not always” so a few reps isn’t a bad idea.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:30 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I think i just heard that Echo you spoke of yesterday
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 04:37 PM   #7
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I did clean out the original carb. The float bowl was full of gunk, corrosion, and rust. I polished it up as best I could so it still may be an option to reinstall. Obviously, fuel coming out of the vent hose means the float bowl is filling with fuel ( flooding). Possible causes could be : #1-Issue with the float and needle valve. Could it be the fuel pump? or not likely. What about fuel line size? Would a larger ID play a role in flooding a carb? What about the rubber boot and reeds?? Could they somehow affect the carburetor's performance?? or can I eliminate those as an option? I learn from my mistakes and ask questions. I try to cover all possibilities for a specific issue even once my problem has been solved. I appreciate all the answers and advice. I know some of my questions may be confusing. I still can't figure out how to post pictures or videos on this forum which could be beneficial. I've come a long way this past year and know way more now than when I first started posting. Hopefully one day I will be able to help answer some questions vs always asking. Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2023, 05:08 PM   #8
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Carb is off and I checked the float and valve as instructed. Upside down no air is getting through the valve while blowing into the fuel jet. I assume this means the valve is seating and sealing as it should. I understand what you mean about the float itself sinking into the fuel but how would I check this?? If there doesn't appear to be an issue within the float bowl, What next???
Old 02-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #9
Brian Baker
Gone Wild

Pull the float bowl pin and remove the float.
Put the float only in a small cup of liquid (I use gas) and slightly disturb it and see if it sinks...........................
Thats what I do anyway and have found a few that would.
Brian Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha