lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
thezigman
Not Yet Wild

Default EZ-Go carburetor issues - very hard to start

Working on this for a friend. Its an 86 EZ-go, has a 2 stroke engine. its all steel. I do not know what model it is.

Anyway, he couldnt get it running. I replaced the defective fuel pump with the mikuni replacement from buggies unlimited. I took apart the carb, and it looks very clean. all the ports are open, and the needle valve & Float move freely. it doesn't leak fuel.

It has a new spark plug, and is getting spark. but it is VERY hard to start.
Even with the choke pulled, it wont start. If I put my hand over the carb intake it will finally fire up, and run, but the throttle seems to have no effect. Whether it is wide opem, or barely running the throttle position seems to make no difference. the only way I can raise the RPMs is to put my hand over the carb. AND it will run with my hand over the carb, without choking out. I have sprayed the intake area with ether, but can not locate an intake leak.

I was considering replacing the carb, but I am not entirely sure it is the root of the problem. Looking for any other suggestions.

Thanks!
thezigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: EZ-Go carburetor issues - very hard to start

I would take a compresion test to rule out bad seals.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Also put your hand over the muffler and make sure it isn't clogged, or better yet, unbolt it and see what happens when you start it.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #4
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Most likely a fuel problem. Trace back to carb. Look for leaks between carb, spacer-joint and manifold.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Start with the compression. If the engine isn't mechanically sound the rest doesn't matter anyway. Unbolting the muffler also a good idea. Good luck....
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

My best guess is the crankshaft seals as the motor runs the fuel thru a pressurized crankcase and is VERY sensitive to this problem. I put new seals in my 2 cycle and a backfire popped the front seal clear out making it not run at all... We peened the metal around the seal to lock it in place.
panelbeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
panelbeatr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Also pull the muffler off the engine and look at the exhaust port hole in the side of the piston as you rotate engine - mine was blown out and wouldn't start for anything..... it had great compression and spark. If it is you will need new piston. The hole is about 1/2" X 3/4"
panelbeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
mikeevans860
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

i will sell you a brand new carb for 140
mikeevans860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

But what if he doesn't need one?

The thing about two stroke engines is there are basically two compartments in the block, one above and below the piston.
The lower or vacuum half which draws and delivers fuel to the upper half, and the upper or compression half that ignites it and produces the power.
You can get a good compression reading from the top end with bad seals so you need to perform a simple test of filling the crankcase with fuel and see if it leaks from the seals to check the lower end.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Here is what I would do.

1. Make a compression test. It will not diagnose worn seals but it will let you know if it is worth continuing down the road you are going. Anything less that 90 psi is grave cause for concern.

2. Pull the line off the carburetor and crank the engine. (I don't need to explain the safety aspects do I?). If you do not get a big heathly pulsating jet of fuel you should suspect your crankshaft seals.

3. If you do get a big delivery of fuel undo the bolts between the muffler and the exhaust pipe, create a 1/2 inch gap or so and try to start. If it starts and runs your muffler is blocked.

I think that you will find the answer lies in point 2 but give it a go and shout back.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 06-01-2011 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: .
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO