lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon resistor cart conversion

That sounds like a plan ..... only part I am not sure about is
" ...... I think the 2 speed motor will probably be the same as 48 volt ..." I dunno about this the 36v motor on 48v is a straight up 25-30% increase in torque and speed. I am not sure what the emp 2 spd increase is compared to stock percentage wise? Anyone?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 AM   #12
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

As has been suggested, motor change is the last thing to consider.
Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Keep us posted
Old 06-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Zog, I had my motor rebuilt by EMP. My controller is good to 72v and I burnt the insulation causing motor to short out to frame. I have rebuilt motor hard wired on the speed mode. I usually run it at 48v and have no problems with torque.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
Zog, I had my motor rebuilt by EMP. My controller is good to 72v and I burnt the insulation causing motor to short out to frame. I have rebuilt motor hard wired on the speed mode. I usually run it at 48v and have no problems with torque.
Hey, MIKE. Why you tryin' to scare him like that?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #16
ZOG
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Buckman
Was it the 2 speed motor that you burned out? Is the torque setting drastically different compaired to speed? What voltage were you running when you burnt up the motor? How many amps is your controller, and what type? Thanks for the info!
Greg
ZOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #17
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

I burnt the insulation in the carts original motor while running 72 volts through it. Motor still ran but the short caused my brake cables to melt. Since rebuild by EMP(2 speed motor) I have had no problems with motor. I usually run 48v but have jumped up to 72v occasionally just for fun. Front end gets squirrelly at those speeds and batteries are too bulky.
My controller is a Logisystems 48-72 volt, 700 amp. I have never wired the 2 speed motor to the torque mode, always had enough torque in speed mode and I use my cart mainly on old logging roads and the woods. I have 22" tires on cart with a 4" lift.
On my original motor I am not surprised something had to go. Need to remember that the motor was almost 30 years old and used to 36v. Kinda like me, I'm used to 80 proof spirits, if I drank 190 proof I'd break too. lol.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #18
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Zog, FYI I just want to add that I upgraded wires to 4 gauge, using WR HD 48v solenoid, and rebuilt my F-N-R switch with heavier buzz bars and new copper studs.
When I run over 48v I keep the solenoid activation circuit at 48v but run 72v through the large terminals. I was told these solenoids can withstand upto
96v but that may be just an opinion.
For charging I still use my old 36v charger and 1,2, or 3 12v chargers
A 12v charger is a lot cheaper than a 48v. Search on site how Gorno did this for info on how to hook up chargers. Good luck
Old 06-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #19
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
Zog, FYI I just want to add that I upgraded wires to 4 gauge, using WR HD 48v solenoid, and rebuilt my F-N-R switch with heavier buzz bars and new copper studs.
When I run over 48v I keep the solenoid activation circuit at 48v but run 72v through the large terminals. I was told these solenoids can withstand upto
96v but that may be just an opinion.

For charging I still use my old 36v charger and 1,2, or 3 12v chargers
A 12v charger is a lot cheaper than a 48v. Search on site how Gorno did this for info on how to hook up chargers. Good luck
Do I remember correctly that you have the Kilovac EV200 contactor?
At any rate, it will take 96v easy and a whole lot more. Actually the EV200 is rated to 900v.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

i bought a EV200 contactor and never could get it to work. Supplier wouldn't take returns on electrical parts.(Ouch $$$) So I now use a WR HD 48v solenoid.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO