lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Gas G1... Ground stereo to frame or battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
My cart has been run with a pair of 55w driving lights grounded to frame since '99. I put a 10ga ground wire battery to frame. It is only way lights hook up or I would have wired them to ground. One time the connection on the ground went bad and the lights dimmed out, I turned them off quick and fixed it, amazed the fuse did not blow. The lights are fused on the positive side with whatever came with them a 20A I think maybe 25.
Good deal sho. Better luck than I've always had with lights on my Yami's. One other thing I never understood either, the 10amp fuse would never blow if I had extras or until I was at least half a mile from home.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I would never hook anything but a relay to factory wiring, but there was no other way to wire these lights. BTW if you get the right kind of driving lights, the ones that have a wide beam to light the shoulder, they work excellent on carts with the wide beam. Can overlap in center a little for more distance there but it lights around corners and everything. I don't use the lights that much just short runs at night usually. Have a bunch of LED to put on it need to get going with that.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

That's good to know Sho. I usually just get the cheap stuff at Walmart. Where do you usually buy your lights? Automotive place like AutoZone, Advanced.........

Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
That's good to know Sho. I usually just get the cheap stuff at Walmart. Where do you usually buy your lights? Automotive place like AutoZone, Advanced.........
Most of them shine straight ahead, they don't work well at all. Most factory car driving lights are wide beam, that is what you want. In particular the cheap car ones tend to have a spot pattern not wide. Anyway, I found mine at a tool place here that must have bought out some auto stores. They were < $20 iirc I still have a spare set just in case. Have to case those discount places once in a while lol. They are not fancy lights but have the lens in them that goes wide and not much up or down.

Hit google shopping and put this in: "driving lights wide"
Note how many have the strong vertical lines in the glass, that is what makes them shine wide. Here are some super cheap ebay ones that might be wide 260393087491, though they don't say. These http://www.autoanything.com/lights/6...x?kc=ffproduct should be wide they say so, but don't really have the vertical lines in the glass so I don't know, but maybe the reflector is shaped wide enough to make them work that way. Ones I have are rectangular and all vertical lines.

Actually my lenses look just like these: http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...GoogleShopping
Note how one side is deeper, that side goes towards center of car/cart. My stock cart anyway, does not go fast enough that you need lights that shine 1/4 mile ahead of me lol. I can light the whole area ahead of me with the wide angle type around say 150 degrees, with overlap. If you tilt the outside down a little, then they shine more distance ahead and less to sides so you don't light up houses when you go down a road lol.

One last thing, be careful you don't get fog lights that are amber unless you want them. Some have clear lens and are still amber when lit.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Pretty cool. Look like miniture car headlights. Thanks for the info. and links.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #16
g1repairman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I grounded my stereo to the frame on my g1
But i also have lights grounded to the frame and the fuse blew so I added a 20 amp fuse and it works great.
g1repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha