lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
cervi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default g16 smoking when take off or slow speed

I added oil and since doing so my cart is smoking from muffler on take off and idle, any thoughts? I used 10w40 car oil. Could that be the problem? help IM a rookie to the golf cart
cervi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: g16 smoking when take off or slow speed

I would run 10w30 year round. 10w40 shouldn't cause this problem. Usually what causes this is too much oil, it backing up through the pvc pipe and entering the air filter box. Check your air filter box and see if it has oil in it. Check the little hose going to the front of the air cleaner box and see if it is blowing oil. I had a 99 G16 that did this. Believe it or not but a clogged up fuel pump was causing the problem. I had to disassemble the fuel pump and clean it. If you've dump any amount of oil into the carb and it has made it way to the muffler, it will take a while to burn it all off.

My G16 did start blowing oil back into the air box about a year later and ended up just pulling off the hose to the air box, let it hang down toward the ground, and plug off the inlet on the air box.

See if your oil smells like gas and way over full. You may be dumping gas into the crankcase which is usually a fuel pump or carb. float problem. May just need a good cleaning.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
cervi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks for the tips. Ill try them out.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
cervi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

quick update......

No oil in air box/cleaner, its not blowing either i checked the line.
I dumped all oil and put in 1q of 10w30 and not I am running it in nuetral to burn off excess oil.

Just noticed that out of the muffler there is oil blowing a little bit. Any ideas on how to clean that out?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
cervi
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

NOW I have what appears to be the new oil dripping from muffler. Its below the max line on the dipstick? Ideas? im a rookie.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It could have a blown oil ring, that is what they do with a lot of hours on them. They just start burning oil and smoking, plug gets really carboned up. What can happen on a lifted cart is if you put more than one qt in it or fill it to the full mark, due to the angle of the engine lifted that is too much oil and it blows out into the airbox. If that is not the case, it may be a bad oil ring they still run ok but smoke. Check compression and see if its down.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
cart de golf
Gone Wild

d'ont run anything but 10w30 at the campgroud they put commercial 15w40 oil & all the Yamaha's are smoking to heavy oil for finger lubrication the oil doesent go up properly & damages the engine
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
mannyvillegas
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I live around the equator. 10-30 is just too thin on the upper limit. That's why I (we) use 10-40. Temperature here averages in the high 90s.
mannyvillegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I thought my G9 said 10w-40 right on the oil fill? The first time I changed my oil I put synthetic in. I feel the $3 in extra cost is well worth it. Mine does not burn a drop or smoke at all, but it will stink when you slow and it is hot, it loses power hot when you run it hard on warm days say 90F or around that. Its worn out imo, but hey its a '91 and I ran the snot out of it on trails for well over a decade. The 16hp should work perfect in there and cure all those issues.

I do think it might have a valve issue or the ignitor is acting strange, because the loss of power does not seem to be a pure compression issue. It will run normal again after a bit, and it only does it after a couple miles. After three miles it runs normal the rest of the run and that makes little sense. I should try the ignitor I took out of the cart I put a clone into.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g16 gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha