lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
bajabentley
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 ez-go gas starts great good compression, no power

I have an 84 ez-go I picked up and after 3 days searching for why it would not run I found out the crank shaft seal was popped out. Now it starts up every time I hit the gas but it seems like it has no power. it has a little more power in reverse but the compression is close to 120 in both forward and reverse.

any ideas?

can clutches be adjusted?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Tyler
bajabentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1984 ez-go gas starts great good compression, no power

You don't say but I am going to guess that it was the rear seal that popped out and you didn't replace it, you just pushed it back in.

If my hypothesis is correct (and bearing in mind that you state your compression is 120 psi) then I am going to bet on the seals (both of them) being worn out.

Over the years the engine has run predominately in the forward direction which has worn the seals. When you run in reverse the rubber is twisted slightly giving a better seal which is why you perceive slightly better performance in reverse.

Try getting the back on axle stands or removing the drive belt. Now with a buddy / wife / helper holding tthe throttle at a fast idle spray some WD40 around the seal. If the engine revs increase or just sound different then you have a shot seal.

The good news is that the seals cost about $3 each so it is a cheap fix. The bad news is that if the cart has not been apart since 1984 you are in for an interesting ride.

Keep us posted
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
bauschracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I go with Dave, if you did not replace both seals-you need to. They are cheep. Order a few extra just incase you dammage one. If you replaced the seal under the flywheel and the cart has a pulsar, did you position it back properly?
Mike
bauschracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
bajabentley
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the reply's. it could be the seals, I tried the WD-40 idea and no change so I tried heavy grease, still no change. I ordered new seals so I will try that but could it be something else?
also can you rebuild clutches? the weights look warn a little, and the rollers the weights ride on have seen better days. haha
bajabentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO