lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Default Seeking help on adjusting carb screws

Hello,
My cart has been running a little rough and sputtering to start. It actually quit cranking a couple of days ago. It still sounds like the motor is wanting to turn over.I checked the fuel pump and have fuel coming out. I noticed that I have fuel coming out of the clear vacuum hose on top of carb. I think the carb screws need an adjustment, because it has never really ran smooth. I have an 82 gas ezgo. I just rethreaded the line from accelerator pedal going into the butterfly of the carb, so I think something might have got out of wack with the adjustments previously. I was curious how many turns the big screw has on top. I am guessing that one is all the way in. The two smaller screws I am concerned with, the one on top and the small one on the side by the fuel pump hose. If everything checks out ok there, I am guessing my carb might need to be cleaned. Thanks for any help.
fingerpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Seeking help on adjusting carb screws

If you have fuel running out of the breather pipe then you have a stuck float or a jammed needle valve. This is the place to start. I would remove the carburetor then remove the bowl and check the float. The big nut that you undid to remove the bowl is actually the main jet so make sure that is not blocked. Now look up into the carburetor and you will see the main nozzle. Unscrew that and make sure it is also clean. Turn the carburetor the right way up and locate the slow running jet remove this and clean it as well. Now reassemble and refit the carburetor. The only adjustment you have is the slow running bypass screw. Gently screw this all the way in and then out 1 1/2 turns. Now adjust is by 1/2 turn in either direction until it runs right and you are done.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Thanks for the info Dave. I made the adjustment and plan on pulling the carb. Out of curiosity, I decided to jack it up and see if it would fire up. I jacked up the cart and then it fired right up. I lowered it down and then the engine was sputtering to try to crank again, but would not crank. It is seeming like it might not be a fuel issue now after all. I hope it is not crank seals or something, because I know nothing about the engine stuff lol.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Fuel coming out of the breather is a problem that will give you the symptoms you describe. Jacking it up may have changed the angle and temporarily allowed the float to work but you need to get it apart to check.

I too hope that it is not the crank seals (and I am sure it isn't) as that is quite a job.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
fingerpicker
Getting Wild

Hey Dave,
I got it running today! I had had it jacked up and was trying to mix in some Seafoam to clean it out some. I don't know anything about the carbs, so I was trying to keep from pullling it. Well, I said I got it running while it's jacked up and let it run for a bit to let the Seafoam circulate and clean out some junk. I did that for around 5 minutes. Then I let it rest for a bit and tried to lower it down and it would just sputter and start to crank again, but it wouldn't. So, then I got thinking about something I changed a litttle ways back. I had changed the spark plug wire. The new one was one of those yellow radio compression wires and was a little long. I decided to cut it down some and changed the cap and boot. I put it back on and it fired right up. It actually has been running faster and smoother than before. It used to have a sluggish take off, but now it's ready to go. Maybe the grey core in the wire was messed up or something and a combination of the Seafoam helped significantly. The length of the wire didn't really seem to be a problem before, but I'm sure it's better to have a shorter wire. Thanks again for your help!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO