lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Built myself a roof rack...

I ended up running two diagonal braces . One on top and bottom bottom. Each were about 2” above the curvature of the factory strut. The braces are 39” long, 1 wide, and 1/8” think so they are pretty stout.
Took them and cut to fit perfect along with rounded edges. Mounted with washer on each side, one at the nit and one at bolt head.
So far has stiffened up front end surprisingly well. My windshield when folded down doesn’t squeaky and creak non stop anymore. The whole thing may fall sort soon but for now seems to be holding up pretty solid. Bolts are loctited on so shouldn’t back out any.
Will update after a few more good lengthy rides.
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #22
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I ended up running two diagonal braces . One on top and bottom bottom. Each were about 2” above the curvature of the factory strut. The braces are 39” long, 1 wide, and 1/8” think so they are pretty stout.
Took them and cut to fit perfect along with rounded edges. Mounted with washer on each side, one at the nit and one at bolt head.
So far has stiffened up front end surprisingly well. My windshield when folded down doesn’t squeaky and creak non stop anymore. The whole thing may fall sort soon but for now seems to be holding up pretty solid. Bolts are loctited on so shouldn’t back out any.
Will update after a few more good lengthy rides.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #23
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Pictures?
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post
My windshield when folded down doesn’t squeaky and creak non stop anymore.
I may have to do this mod for this reason alone! I hate the squeaking!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #25
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I may have to do this mod for this reason alone! I hate the squeaking!
it really is worth it and its barely noticeable. Make sure and get a thick piece of flatbar though so it will hold together and keep the support arms from flexing. i used 1 inch X 1/8" thick flatbar.
I dont have pictures as 'ive been out of town but will send some once i get back tomorrow evening.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:31 AM   #26
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I was just discussing that yesterday with some neighbors for mine. We were talking about adding a diagonal from the rear seat arm rests to the roof supports. All I have is an overhead stereo console on mine, yet the flexing ScottB is talking about is noticeable. I had to build a "luggage rack" to mine, to tie all three struts together, to eliminate sags and squeaks. I still have to contend with folks hanging on the roof while I corner, and rear passengers often ride standing up, facing forward, and hang onto the roof. Aggressive cornering, acceleration and braking put a lot of live loads onto a system that was meant to offer shade while driving across a golf course.

What ScottB mentioned about roof struts failing is something I noticed on WorkHorse buggies at work. My rear struts are slightly bent at the point they connect to the rear seat. I need to compare them to my neighbor's, to see if that's normal.
Uhm.... I hesitate to ask but do you happen to have a Tesla Coil laying around...?

I now have new life goals!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #27
JHCrazyCarts
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That is very cool! I definitely could use the extra storage on my cart!
JHCrazyCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #28
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

not the greatest photos but here are the braces i mounted. the bottom one is hardly even visible because of the windshield. I still have some touch up painting to do but so far shes holding up pretty good with the added weight of the roof rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (93.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0833.jpg (80.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0834.jpg (86.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #29
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nice! I thought you did diagonal braces at the rear, I didn't realize you got rid of the squeak with horizontals at the front! This I will definitely have to do.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:49 PM   #30
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I’m about to add another horizontal brace on the top rear. So far the front braces are still holding up perfectly fine!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO