lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
donnie5336
Not Yet Wild

Default Do I need a shorter belt?

Hi all. New here and fairly new to the cart world also. I apologize in advance for not having the complete details on my cart but I'm at work and it's at home so I can update later with more info, but I know its either a 1996 or 1997 EZGO gas. Not sure if its a Medalist, TXT, etc. but hopefully my problem will be general enough to diagnose regardless of model. My cart is pretty slow to get going, and also slow going up any kind of hill at all. I've been searching and the consensus is new belt and or clutch. And since the belt is cheapest I was going to start with that. But my question is this.. when my cart is taking off, or going up hill, it's not just that the speed is slow, but the engine seems to be dragging also, as if its under a heavy load. Is this also typical of needing a new/shorter belt? Or would my engine still be revving normally, just slow acceleration? If this is something other than the belt, where should I be looking? Carb issue maybe? Thanks in advance for any replies.
donnie5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do I need a shorter belt?

Have you checked the valves by chance? It sounds like what mine was doing and it was 90% belt but the vavle springs where also weak.

Just my 2 cents worth
Doc's BoneCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
donnie5336
Not Yet Wild

No I haven't. We just got the cart for the kids for Christmas and haven't really had the chance to ride it very much yet. I'll check those but most definitely will go ahead and replace that belt.
donnie5336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just replaced mine this week I followed everyone's advice on here and went with a shorter belt. I got the NAPA 6098 and it has been great. it's a little hard getting on but just keep working it it will go. Some times it's hard to shift but after about 12 hours of run time it'll start getting easier.

2. when you check your valves use a .04 feeler gauge.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's BoneCracker View Post
I just replaced mine this week I followed everyone's advice on here and went with a shorter belt. I got the NAPA 6098 and it has been great. it's a little hard getting on but just keep working it it will go. Some times it's hard to shift but after about 12 hours of run time it'll start getting easier.

2. when you check your valves use a .04 feeler gauge.
I know it's just a slip of the finger Doc but valve clearance should be set cold at .004
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Doc's BoneCracker
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks crash! When you use your hands for adjusting all day the old fingers start screaming at you this time of night.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

wow thATS A BIG HOLE, DID YOU shoot him with a .38? ahhh 38 39 what ever it took
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 882001 View Post
wow thATS A BIG HOLE, DID YOU shoot him with a .38? ahhh 38 39 what ever it took
umm, Have you been drinking again? or maybe still?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO