lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default I'm Lost Engine quitting intermittenly

Lets start here I have a 2001 G-20 Yamaha, 295 gas engine that has been running great for about a year until last week. The cart seems like it runs out of gas then will start back up with a few pumps of the gas pedal and a few pulls on the choke. This happens any time or place with no reason, here's what I've done to fix it with no luck. By the way I just cleaned,changed or rebuilt everything but the fuel pump a year ago when I done my build.

I pulled the air box and filter off, all clean.
I pulled the gas tank out and cleaned along with the pick-up tube(tank did have some debris in it).
I pulled the carb off and apart it was clean.
I put a new inline fuel filter on,it was a little dirty not bad.
I pulled the spark plug, very clean with a good burn.
I was going to check the fuel pump but it is white plastic with no way to take it apart, can a vacuum gage be used to check this or not.

If anybody has any ideas it would be great. I just don't have 50 bucks to throw away on a new fuel pump if not needed, but I really do think thats what my problem is.

Thanks in advance for any help, LURCH!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: I'm Lost Engine quitting intermittenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCH View Post
Lets start here I have a 2001 G-20 Yamaha, 295 gas engine that has been running great for about a year until last week. The cart seems like it runs out of gas then will start back up with a few pumps of the gas pedal and a few pulls on the choke. This happens any time or place with no reason, here's what I've done to fix it with no luck. By the way I just cleaned,changed or rebuilt everything but the fuel pump a year ago when I done my build.

I pulled the air box and filter off, all clean.
I pulled the gas tank out and cleaned along with the pick-up tube(tank did have some debris in it).
I pulled the carb off and apart it was clean.
I put a new inline fuel filter on,it was a little dirty not bad.
I pulled the spark plug, very clean with a good burn.
I was going to check the fuel pump but it is white plastic with no way to take it apart, can a vacuum gage be used to check this or not.

If anybody has any ideas it would be great. I just don't have 50 bucks to throw away on a new fuel pump if not needed, but I really do think thats what my problem is.

Thanks in advance for any help, LURCH!!!!!!
Is the pump OEM? Mine is made of metal and can be disassembled.

Is the pump pumping?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I bought 2 of these carts at the same time a little over a year ago and they both had the same pumps, round white plastic with no way to take them apart. I don't know if they are OEM or not.
It pumps good until it quits running then you can look and the filter is empty, pump the gas and choke it a few times and it starts running and runs great until the next time 1 mile or 3 miles you never know.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
boltz
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I know this sounds odd but you wont always see fuel in the filter so thats not a good way to judge it. Did you follow the vac line all the way to the crank tube to make sure it was connected securly? Also you should inspect that whole line and replace it or take it off and make sure you have no holes.

Dose engine run time have any relation ie like when it heats up?
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
OregonMike
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Location: Anywhere Near Roseburg, Oregon, where I can find some twisties!

Sounds like what was happening to mine, almost exactly. Heres what the cart boys did to it:

Cleaned the Carb
New Plug
**Rebuilt the Fuel Pump**
New fuel lines
**New battery**
Adjusted the valve

I think it was the fuel pump causing my issue, I would try that. Mine was metal and could b opened and rebuilt, but CPP has high flow pumps at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps
OregonMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

maybe?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3206856...Types&var=sbar
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Might try this, there are 3 lines on the fuel pump, 1 from the gas tank, 1 to the carb, the other line is the "pulsar" line that drives the fuel pump diaphrams off crank case pressure. Remove the pulsar line and blow back towards the engine, you should feel no restriction. If you do, take off the oil filler cap, cover it with a rag and use compressed air to blow the cuagulated oil back into the crankcase. Then you might want to change the oil to a full synthetic (doesn't seem to mix with water), I base this all on the gas we get (ethenol), it attracts moister and can mix with oil and partially plug the pulsar line. Sorry for the long post.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
boltz
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Your right about the gas smallblock, i use 93 ethenol free ONLY in everything i own...
boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltz View Post
Your right about the gas smallblock, i use 93 ethenol free ONLY in everything i own...
Were do you get?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It does it cold or hot makes no difference, the line is new with clamps on both ends.
I will take it off and try to blow through it. I put reg. oil in it when I built the cart last year and had just switched it to Mobil one the day it started doing this. I also drilled out the gov. bracket to bypass it.
If all else fails I'll get a new fuel pump and hope that fixes it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha