lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default New cart owner help with shocks and springs

I recently bought a 96 TXT electric that has rear seat. This is my first post. The cart appears basically stock with original tires. I am going to be using it for use on sporting clays courses so it will be mostly on dirt and graveled paths and roadways. I don't think I am going to lift it at this point but may down the road. I do plan to add a front clays basket and a gun mount in the floorboard. The body will "rock" easily side to side if you pull on roof supports and the ride seems spongy so I suspect the shocks and/or springs need replacing. I can see the shocks and locate a nut on the lower end but the upper arm of the shocks extend up under a panel. How do I remove/replace the shocks and do I need special tools other than normal ratchets, wrenches, etc...? I have never worked on a cart before so any advice would be appreciated. Is there an instructional video on changing shocks and springs anywhere? Thanks in advance, Rob.
ROBinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New cart owner help with shocks and springs

Welcome !!!

Rob first check and see if you shocks are leaking, if they are not then I would not worry about replacing them, unless you just fee the need too. You can either jack the cart up, place stands, and reach up to put a wrench on, or remove the motor cover, that will give some access as well. I would cover up the motor with a towel or etc to protect yourself from the voltage of the batts, or just disconnect the batts so you do not need to worry about it.

If it only has the two leaf springs setup, then I would opt for a heavy duty set along with new set of bushings, this will help you out for what you are doing.
Hope this helps.

LH
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

so its springs and not shocks that are causing the body to travel so much when I rock it? Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Dingleberry
Getting Wild

Club Car

Rob, don't know if you are still reading this thread, but I found some videos on YouTube on changing the leaf springs. Just search for "golf cart springs".
Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I did replace my springs both front and rear with HD set I ordered from an Internet golf cart supplier. I viewed a video for reference and it really helped. The springs made all the difference in the world. They were fairly simple to replace with use of a floor jack and two jack stands. Great information here in this forum.

Last edited by ROBinGA; 06-12-2012 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Mispelled words
Old 08-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
lawnripper
“I don’t feel tardy”

E-Z-GO

hi Rob, did you end up changing out the shocks as well? I am new to carts and just got a txt 2000 pds. its sways a bit and is spongy as well. I dont really notice to much sag and the springs seem to have some arch..so I thought maybe shocks?
lawnripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
ROBinGA
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Did not change shocks but did upgrade to HD springs and that did the trick for my cart. My isn't lifted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO