lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Brake self adjuster

Does this picture of the self adjuster (flat part on top of the ratchet)look normal? Also do the brakes adjust when applied going forward or in reverse? Thanks Paul

PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: Brake self adjuster

The flipper should retract back over the wheel once the pedal is released. It will never be able to adjust properly if it's resting in the position pictured. Either your cables are seized up, your brake slide mechanism is seized up, or your brake cable tension adjustment under the car is too tight and won't allow it to fully retract.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Either your cables are seized up, your brake slide mechanism is seized up, or your brake cable tension adjustment under the car is too tight and won't allow it to fully retract.
Cables are free. Brake slide mechanism I'll have to check that. Is there an eazy way to check it without removing brakes? Cable tension....I did adjust peddle free travel, but I tightened it up to about an inch of free travel. I also turned the adjuster a few clicks to tighten the brakes. So now my question is , Is there a sequence to adjust the brakes and set peddle free travel? Brakes are working fine. Thanks Tahoe
Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Once you tightened it up to about an inch of free travel did you try to push the cables back by hand to see if they'll retract? Try taking the cable loose from the brake cluster and work it by hand just to see if it's free enough to retract. If not, that narrows it down to the sliders. As for freeing them up, just spray some wd40 on it and work the shoes side to side by hand until they move pretty freely. However, it's much easier to do if you remove the brakes. Sometimes these brakes will over adjust and it makes it hard to get it setup properly again. It wouldn't be a bad idea to remove the adjusters, lube them up and run them all the way back in, then reinstall. After that you can pump the pedal over and over again until the clicking stops and you should have good brakes.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks again for all your help. I'll do as you sugest....now I'm up to my wallet in a landscaping project so might be a few days befor I get to it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car