lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
jerryrides
Not Yet Wild

Default 1991 dragging problem

Thank you for this forum ,,, I bought a 1991 electric ezgo that ran pretty well until I started charging the batteries only when they were low which I found out you should keep them full at all times so, the cart went down until I found some second hand batteries and up and running again. Then this time it had a drag on it when it was running. I jacked it up and found the back left wheel was locked. I chipped the hub pulling it off and adjusted the adjuster screw which seem to release the wheel. The pads look to need new ones and a good cleaning. I took the brake cable off the back at the adjuster and the adjuster was jammed. I wanted to see the cable work after I unhooked it , got someone to press brake and the petal fell to the floor under cart the cables weren't lose but slack and hanging with nothing unhooked or broken. I can pull the cable back to were it was but my pedal is still lose. The right wheel rubs when turning with hand. I wonder when I change the pads on both sides if everything will fall back in place? Also, will I have to pull a plug off top center of the back plate to remove the brake pads? Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance.
jerryrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
jerryrides
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1991 dragging problem

I place an order with BU for a set of rear pads and a new hub. Very fair prices , I think this will get me started in the right directions. Do I back the star all the way back and the self adjuster will set the pads?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Jerry. You are halfway to fixing your troubles just visiting here.

What you have is a typical through brake job needed. I won't say you can't just do one side and fix all the stuck mechanicals, but you already know the other side is the same way.

Under your cart, connected just after your brake pedal is the "equalizing spring". That is where you will make brake adjustments. There is a jamnut on each brake cable housing for fine adjustments. When you get your new pads you should pull all springs and adjusters off for a good cleaning.

Check out the stickies at the top of this forum and find the service manual for your cart. Hopefully all the info you need to reassemble will be in the manual. If the manual lacks some info? Please ask. We like happy people riding happy carts

And BTW, these carts brake adjusters are just like car mechanical adjusters. Screw everything in so all the pads are loose and spend 30 min driving backwards while slamming on the brakes continually.

Let us know what happens.

Last edited by Gonkulor; 10-25-2012 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: fine adjustment
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
jerryrides
Not Yet Wild

Gon,
Yes, you have hit the nail on the head and answer all my questions, I have the pads and new hub on its way from BU and can't wait start putting it back together.
Thank you so much.
Ps - Sure is a nice looking project your working on.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO