lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
auster
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy Solenoid or Controller?

Im new to the forum and a first time cart owner of a 1992 Marathon (electric). Cart has been modified from 36 volts to 48 volts. I replaced Batteries with new trojans. Replaced all battery and motor cable with all 4g welding wire. Checked all wiring per schematic charts. Every terminal has been cleaned. Problem is when I depressed the pedal all I got was a puff of smoke from the diode on top of the solenoid. Im not very good with electrical stuff but researching as much as possible to learn. The solenoid is 36 volt, controller is a Curtis 36/48 400 amp. Motor I think is stock GE 36 volt. I realize this is a broad topic but looking for any answers and suggestions from the pros. Thanks.
auster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
79camaro
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid or Controller?

Does the solenoid click when the accelerator is pressed?
79camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You said that you replaced all the wiring, are you absolutely certain that it was done correctly? The reason I ask is smoke from a diode usually indicates that the polarity is backwards. If the diode had been reversed (you shouldn't have touched it when replacing cables), it would have blown out, but the cart would still probably work, as the only purpose of the diode on the solenoid is to protect the accelerator microswitch from arcing.

Edited to add:

Also, you mentioned that the solenoid is rated at 36 volts. I can't imagine that it'll last too long if you're running it on 48 volts. Note that it's possible to run low-voltage solenoids on higher voltage if you incorporate a dropping resistor. I am doing exactly that in order to use a 24 volt reversing contactor in a 36-volt cart.

Last edited by jdunmyer; 11-24-2012 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: had more thoughts, see note.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
auster
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

There is no click from the sol.As for the wiring, I double and triple check before and after. The diode was removed but put it back just as I removed it per a marking on the end of it. Cart does nothing at all.Did noticed that the red wire from switch on the fnr to the accelerator was warm to touch.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
auster
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am going to replace the sol with a 48 volt but trying to figure out if that is the only problem. Plan is to replace it with solenoid and controller package from scotty bs.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A lot can be lost in the written word... the diode is the small banded device mounted between the 2 small terminals the resistor is the larger (non directional) unit mount between the 2 large posts.

Maybe this helps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor & Diode instruction01.jpg (232.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
auster
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply scotty. Ill get back as soon as possible with what I find. Words do seem to disappear..... Not meant to be negative. Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is the solenoid activation circuit for test purposes.

A quick overview of the solenoid is :
The solenoid is a HD on/off switch or Contactor
the connection is made /broken between the 2 large terminals. The 2 small terminals are the activation circuit. Typically one small terminal will have a constant negative connection to the pack. When Positive power is applied to the second small terminal a magnetic field is created and the contact is drawn up to make contact between the 2 big posts. When power from either side of the activation circuit is removed then contact is released and the spring pushes it away interrupting the circuit ...It doesn't matter which small terminal is negative or positive on the activation circuit so long as you have both....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo marathon controller cart.jpg (168.8 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
auster
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This may sound like a dumb question but trying to start from scratch. On the ignition there are two connections. Im unsure if it matters which is positve side or the ignition side. So does it matter which goes to where?
Old 11-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
auster
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scotty, can you give a price for sol, controller, and motor. I was looking at this package and was wondering about a motor also. 500 amp Alltrax (AXE4855) 36-48v programmable
400amp Super Duty 1000a peak Solenoid Kit w/ Mounting Bracket
Suitable for Off Road driving 23" tires & upgraded motors
Thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO